Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Wheel bearings Feb 06, 2022 8:41 am #33138

• bob
  • Thank you received: 728
That's a great idea Frank. 
Sea Ray 290 Amberjack
Kelliann 4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wheel bearings Mar 21, 2022 2:38 pm #33658

• walldady
  • Thank you received: 43
Is there a DEPENDABLE Place to order wheel bearing kits ?  I liked the idea of the triple seal bearing seal . Preferably  made in the USA . I can do them myself , but would like the whole kits , instead of just the bearings .  I'm sure people here have done this . 

THANKS FOR ANY HELP 

Good Luck and Safe Trips ,,,,, Walldady

Wheel bearings Mar 22, 2022 4:20 am #33666

• BNature
  • BNature's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1396
I trailer my boat a lot so I pay particular attention to my trailer's hubs and bearings. I've had issues with the "kits" since, it seems the bearings are the "cheap Chinese" made bearings. I suppose most of the wheel seals are China products, as well, but aren't as critical. I also suppose there are some crappy American made bearings and great Chinese products. Timkin bearings may say made in USA, but may actually only be assembled in America. Still, they are a leading company and according to the 'net, are made in 42 countries and sold globally. I assume whether made here, in Mexico, Indonesia or where ever, they are manufactured to a high standard.

That's better than just buying a bearing because of price. I've had good luck with both Tie Down and Dexter triple lip seals and buy them from both etrailer.com and trailerpartsdepot.com

Wheel bearings Mar 22, 2022 7:28 am #33668

• honda cat
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 222

I trailer my boat a lot so I pay particular attention to my trailer's hubs and bearings. I've had issues with the "kits" since, it seems the bearings are the "cheap Chinese" made bearings. I suppose most of the wheel seals are China products, as well, but aren't as critical. I also suppose there are some crappy American made bearings and great Chinese products. Timkin bearings may say made in USA, but may actually only be assembled in America. Still, they are a leading company and according to the 'net, are made in 42 countries and sold globally. I assume whether made here, in Mexico, Indonesia or where ever, they are manufactured to a high standard.

That's better than just buying a bearing because of price. I've had good luck with both Tie Down and Dexter triple lip seals and buy them from both etrailer.com and trailerpartsdepot.com

TRY TO REMEMBER WHO YOU CALL FOR HELP WITH YOUR MOTOR PROBLEMS.  CALUMET MARINE HAS MOST ALL BEARINGS AND HUB KITS IN STOCK.  AS THE LIST OF ON LINE SUPLIERS GETS LONGER EVERY DAY SO DOES LIST OF BOAT DEALERS THAT HAVE GONE OUT OF BUSINESS AND WHERE WILLING TO WORK ON A GUYS OLDER  BOAT.  THAT JUST CANT AFFORD A NEW BOAT EVERY TEN YEARS   WE DO OUR BEST TO KEEP YOU ON THE WATER AND OUT OF THE POOR HOUSE HELPING PEOPLE WHERE EVER WE CAN ITS SMILES PER GALLON NOT MILES PER GALLON 

Frank Martin
USCG Captain - 50 Ton Master
Great Lakes Inland Waterways
Near shore Salt water
Towing assist
owner Calumet Marine .com

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Wheel bearings Mar 22, 2022 8:00 am #33670

• BNature
  • BNature's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1396
Frank is right. I give him and his shop a solid endorsement. He's solid on Great Lakes gear and advice, compared to many places with a stock and trade better suited to watersports boaters.  I would go there more often if it wasn't an 1 1/2 hour drive for me to get there.  

Last edit: by BNature.

Wheel bearings Mar 22, 2022 9:16 am #33671

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Thank you received: 516

Frank is right. I give him and his shop a solid endorsement. He's solid on Great Lakes gear and advice, compared to many places with a stock and trade better suited to watersports boaters.  I would go there more often if it wasn't an 1 1/2 hour drive for me to get there.  
An hour and half  would be sweet. It takes me about 5. Frank needs to have an Indy area shop.

My Searunner 190, "Four "D's" and a "C". Retirement money well spent.