Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Public Meetings to discuss chinook stocking strategy Jan 09, 2023 5:43 pm #36228

• slack57
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 232
well said Ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigEdV

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Public Meetings to discuss chinook stocking strategy Jan 09, 2023 9:33 pm #36229

• KingSeeker
  • Thank you received: 47

Big ED, think about what Ben said. The return at all ports have been less than 1percent. When equal stockings have taken place the results are very similar. EC received no fish in 2019. they got a smaller portion in 2020 and had returns. In 2023 we should see the results of an equal stocking number at all ports. This is exactly why it it only makes sense to wait another year, that is plain as day.

I am going from what Ben said in the meeting about the 10-12 year data and it having both high and low.  IF this was an actual data driven decision based on returns and such, I would agree there would be a reason push it a year,  Being this is going to solely be based on people's input; I still say waiting a year will make no difference in how people fill out the survey.  People are going to vote for the port they fish out of the most and is most convenient for them.  No use in arguing the point though since all of these decisions have been made :(                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Big Ed you are correct about the decisions were made before we ever had a chance for public impute. Let's hope we all have a favorite port to fish out of when this is done. At this point I will respectively bow out of this thread.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BigEdV

Public Meetings to discuss chinook stocking strategy Jan 10, 2023 2:51 pm #36233

• Whalerman
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 75
Last thing I’ll say on this topic also is this: I think it’s sad that the DNR took the approach of in essence pitting ports against each other (i.e. anglers against anglers) and then disguising it in a survey to then be able to justify (maybe mask is a better word) that very tactic by saying “see…this is what you guys voted on: this is what you wanted!!”  That’s probably what bothers me the most about this.  Of course anglers from the ports of Portage and MC are not going to chime in much on this thread: there’s no arguments needed there.  I gotta imagine the Friday night meeting in Michigan City was all cheers and high fives seeing the options they had.

I liken this elimination of the EC stockings to a made-up scenario the DNR could cook up for Fish and Wildlife areas (FWA’s) in northwest IN.  For example, say the DNR was going to discuss new management ideas for the state properties of Willow Slough, Kankakee, and LaSalle, and then put a survey out to see which property you’d like to have more state resources eliminated from.  And we’ll throw in some harvest data too from our drop-box cards to make our case in our presentation.  So of those 3 FWA’s, we are going to eliminate deer and waterfowl hunting opportunities from one, and remember: you can only pick 1 of 3 options for those future plans.  And when you, do don’t get mad at us for the results, because you folks have made your choices!  The license holders have spoken!

Let me be clear: I’m the furthest person from being anti-DNR.  But this thing just wreaks.  It’s my 2 cents worth yes, but the fact that from EC to Hammond that side of the lake is not being represented stronger when there is clear success in IL for their harbor stockings/returns is beyond me.  Could I be wrong: absolutely…but I’m willing to keep the status quo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigEdV, Lickety-Split, Ltrain, LWL

Last edit: by Whalerman.

Public Meetings to discuss chinook stocking strategy Jan 12, 2023 12:58 pm #36241

• Start Paddling
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 293
Some of you may remember the Hammond Marina days that provided an awesome shore fishing opportunity for kings.  Though the lake is different, it would be fantastic to see something similar if kings are stocked in the area.  At the same time, though survival rates are comparable, they are less than they are at MC and Portage, and the DNR has an obligation to make the most of the fish we have with the small corner of lakefront Indiana owns.  Along with this, stream fishermen are a considerable amount of fishing effort for the fall run compared to boat angling, and EC doesn’t provide much of that like Trail and Salt/Cal do.  Had a chance to attend the EC meeting and was shocked how much fishing effort is done by stream compared to boat- if someone has a pic of the chart that shows fall fishing efforts by different means please send it over.  

A big thanks to Ben for doing his best and taking the heat he knew was coming. In the midst of this we can all be thankful for our end of the lake trending upwards and there are kings being stocked!