Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Indiana Lake Michigan Fisheries Work Shop Feb.18 2023 Feb 17, 2023 5:51 am #36400

• Lickety-Split
  • Lickety-Split's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1699

Indiana Lake Michigan Fisheries Work Shop
February 18th 2PM
Izaak Walton League Miller Chapter 1250 Crisman Rd.(RT.249)

First presenter, Matthew Kornis Fish Biologist and Data Analyst for the US Fish and Wild life Service Wisconsin.
Matt will present lake wide coded wire tagging studies information on both Kings and Steelhead

Second presenter, Ben Dickenson Lake Michigan Biologist Indiana.
Ben will take us through a little more in depth look at the predator Prey Ratio

Third presenter, Ed Blissick President Of The Great Lakes Salmon Initiative
Ed will give a update on the GLSI

There will be more items for discussion. Including a possible fall meeting format for the entire south end community to be part of. Come join us for the afternoon. 

Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Indiana Lake Michigan Fisheries Work Shop Feb.18 2023 Feb 17, 2023 5:55 am #36401

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
This is a first for Indiana, come and join us for the afternoon. Doors will be open at 1pm and meeting will start at 2pm.
Lickety-Split

The following user(s) said Thank You: Joez

Indiana Lake Michigan Fisheries Work Shop Feb.18 2023 Feb 18, 2023 5:39 pm #36405

• Joez
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 145
Just wanted to say I thought it was a great meeting, and thanks to all of the presenters.  Took a lot of good information away from the meeting, and it was really cool to see the charts and graphs that spanned back to when I first started fishing this lake before taking a few years off.  

It was so good i just joined GLSI while sitting at Marina Shores waiting for my food.  

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split

Indiana Lake Michigan Fisheries Work Shop Feb.18 2023 Feb 18, 2023 10:41 pm #36407

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1647
Yep it was definitely good. 
Boatless!

Indiana Lake Michigan Fisheries Work Shop Feb.18 2023 Feb 19, 2023 6:41 am #36410

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
SPECIAL THANKS to all that came out and spent the afternoon with us. Maybe we will have a chance to do something similar next spring with the focus around the forage base.
Lickety-Split

The following user(s) said Thank You: bob

Indiana Lake Michigan Fisheries Work Shop Feb.18 2023 Feb 19, 2023 8:52 am #36412

• bob
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 703
It was very informative Ed. Thanks 
Sea Ray 290 Amberjack
Kelliann 4

Indiana Lake Michigan Fisheries Work Shop Feb.18 2023 Feb 19, 2023 10:00 am #36413

• raven
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 73
Thanks Ed for taking the time and putting together a informative presentation. Since I known Ed his Passion has been the future of this fishery we all love. I think people on this board should take the time to come to some of these meetings and see and hear the data that’s being talk about. You will see there’s more problems then just stocking numbers that affect  this fishery like the ability of our hatchery’s to meet the stocking goals, decree in which gill nets will be used to harvest there catch. Yes this is Michigans problem but will have an affect for everyone with the movement of fish throughout Lake Michigan. Thanks again Ed. 

Last edit: by raven.

Indiana Lake Michigan Fisheries Work Shop Feb.18 2023 Feb 19, 2023 4:01 pm #36417

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks again guys. Matt Kornis sent me this to share with those who are interested. It is a workshop presentation he made at the South Haven Workshop.

Lickety-Split

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tmik34, Pikesmith, Ltrain

Last edit: by Lickety-Split.

Indiana Lake Michigan Fisheries Work Shop Feb.18 2023 Feb 19, 2023 7:02 pm #36421

• Leavitt
  • Thank you received: 16
Thanks for putting that together Ed. It was an eye opener about the hatchery. We need to raise some money. In the grand scheme of what we spend on tackle a slip and gas a few hundred a piece is a drop in the bucket. We need to put something together between GLSI,HCC and NWI Steelheaders. Maybe somebody tech savvy can get an e-petition going for all our state reps and senators.

Indiana Lake Michigan Fisheries Work Shop Feb.18 2023 Feb 20, 2023 6:37 am #36425

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I also need to thank Ben Dickenson for taking time to meet with us. Ben works really hard for this fishery. I have many times referred to Ben as a untapped resource. He gives much of his personal time up, like meeting with us on a day off.
Another thanks goes to Matt Kornis, Matt also gives much of his time up to allow information to be shared to groups like we had this past weekend.

Ed Blissick drove a couple of hours from Michigan to be with us. Ed has done a great job as President of the GLSI, and I am proud to serve as a board member for this group.
Last I really want to thanks the Ike's for allowing us to use their meeting room for the afternoon. There is  so much history with the Ike's and this fishery that spans back to the beginning, it seemed fitting for this meeting.
Lickety-Split