Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Downriggers Jul 27, 2015 8:45 pm #2609

• Crooked Eye
  • Crooked Eye's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
I am wanting to run two lines off each rigger. I have two big jon electrics with blacks releases. I have both types one is made on a leader and the others are singles. What is the best way to stack these? Also, do you run both lines with flashers? I run mono on all rods currently. Any help is appreciated, this is new to me stacking lines.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Downriggers Jul 27, 2015 9:10 pm #2611

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1679
For my riggers, I use chamberlain releases. I have no experience with blacks releases. With chamberlains you can get a stacker release as well and pop it on the cable anywhere you want. This requires 2 rods per rigger to stack and works like a champ. I will separate the stacker from the ball release by about 20' to start. I have 2 riggers so I will seperate them by 10' initially. This gives me coverage of 40' of water column. Higher baits should have a short lead (helps prevent potential tangles). So the port rigger might have baits at 80 & 60 while the starboard rigger at 70 & 50.

I am sure alot of guys have their methods and will chime in, this just happens to be what I do - for better or for worse ;)
Boatless!

Downriggers Jul 28, 2015 8:53 pm #2618

• Crooked Eye
Thanks, I looked the chamberlain release up and it is definitely user friendly. I ordered two stackers today!

Downriggers Jul 28, 2015 9:14 pm #2619

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Thank you received: 509
Did you ever try to use a fixed or free slider on a single rod to get extra hooks in the water and cover more of the water column? I started using them and they work well also. Just another weapon to unleash on them when the fish are looking the other way.
My Searunner 190, "Four "D's" and a "C". Retirement money well spent.

Downriggers Jul 29, 2015 8:51 am #2629

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1679
I personally have not - mostly because I fear a tangled disaster. Would love to hear experiences.
Boatless!

Downriggers Jul 29, 2015 9:29 am #2632

• gcundercover
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 63
Here's my 2 cents.....I use pinch pad type releases, just what I'm use to. Can vary the amount of release tension by how far back you place line in pad. They are durable enough to get my money's worth. With that in mind, I have bought or whipped up a double stacked release. It is 2 pinch pad releases attached to each other including a swivel. Attach the swivel to the cable and pinch one of the pinch pad releases to the cable at the desired distance above the ball bait. The stacked rod is obviously attached to the other pinch pad. When the fish hits, line releases and the stacker either releases and slides down on the swivel or it stays put to simply reattach without bringing up the ball.
I like to stack about 10 feet off the ball. I like the the two baits working in tandom, one may attract to the other. Most keep short lead on stacked to prevent tangles. However, I take a bit more risk and love to do this. I put a flasher of some sort on the ball, say 6-12 feet. I run a longer lead, say 15-20 feet stacked above the flasher. The flasher attracts, they look up and here comes that enticing spoon fluttering above them and toward them, BAM!! If they hit the ball bait, it can and does at times grab the stacked line. I deal with it. Too long of a lead on the flasher and it will grab the other line. Keep it shorter and minimum 10 feet between. Using two flashers, asking for trouble unless really spacing them apart and watching turns. Using a stacker will also create more blow back or drag on your rigger. Gotta have good weight and proper speed to match this set up.

Last edit: by gcundercover.

Downriggers Jul 29, 2015 9:30 am #2633

• Tmik34
  • Thank you received: 1091
Sliders go on every rigger line and goes about half the distance down that you have your rigger set. Once a fish hits it may not trigger the release or it may. Anyways you need to reel fast to reel the slack in and apply tension to the fish. Your hookup ratio isnt as high but they do catch fish with sharp hooks. Good thing is they dont count as a extra pole.
-Lady M- Sea Ray 290 Amberjack

Downriggers Jul 29, 2015 8:12 pm #2644

• Crooked Eye
Thanks for all the good info. I have pinch pads aboard and rubber bands. I will try them all until I find out what works best for me. The free slider line travels the main line and when a fish is on the slider travels to the main release. if I understand that part right. Do you just add another release and send it down after landing the fish so he ball and main stays in the water?

Downriggers Jul 29, 2015 8:21 pm #2645

• bob
  • Thank you received: 719
No... The main line will release, so you will have to bring the ball up and reset. Then put the slider back on.
Sea Ray 290 Amberjack
Kelliann 4

Downriggers Jul 29, 2015 8:39 pm #2646

• Tmik34
  • Thank you received: 1091
Yes. What bob said. They are attached using a regular snap swivel with a leader of at most 48 inches or shorter is what ive had success with.
-Lady M- Sea Ray 290 Amberjack

• Page: