Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Perching Soon Sep 29, 2022 4:25 pm #35876

• Lund
  • Lund's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 196
I went for a Thursday drive to Calumet Park this morning to check out the boat ramp. Last perch season this ramp was pretty dangerous with a large hole just at the water line which swallowed up some tires. Much to my surprise not only is there that one hole but two more. Right now all three are above the water line. Yes the lake level at Cal Park ramp extremely low. I guess Al Gore's Global Warming hasn't hit our area yet (LOL). Fortunately someone has installed steel plates over all three holes. The two steel plates near the water line are already missing a few bolts. They are still covering the holes in the ramp but for how much longer, not sure. The steel plate covering the hole in the middle of the ramp is bolted down good. Just watch for the bolts sticking up, could cause puncher damage to your tires. Seems they could of used flush mounted bolts.
Didn't think of checking the other ramp. I will soon.
Let's hope for a great perch season. Be safe out there and lets have fun.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: LWL, C Rich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Perching Soon Sep 29, 2022 6:38 pm #35877

• southshore
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 471
Been years since I’ve gone to check that ramp out, probably about as long as though parking meters have been in there to collect a fee. When the lake was really low you used to need about a six foot jump to get down to the boat and on a bad day you’d get stuck under the pillars. If the weather cooperates, should be a good season. Summer fish were nice sized this year.

Perching Soon Oct 01, 2022 1:34 pm #35888

• Wallin
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 266
How much is parking over there and is your vehicle safe. Never launched there.
Thanks
Tom

Perching Soon Oct 02, 2022 8:47 am #35898

• RookieMark
  • Thank you received: 18
I was wondering the same question. I never fished perch in the fatl and was planning on this year. Just don't know the best place to launch.

Perching Soon Oct 02, 2022 11:49 am #35901

• Lund
Been going there for the last few years, no issues so far. Coast Guard Station stone throw away south/southeast down the road. Parking near ramp many spaces as well as right across from the ramp, additional large parking lot. Seems safe, lots of us boaters/fisherman around and we watch out for each other. I haven't launched at Cal Park in the summer months. Park very busy with park goers as well as rec boaters launching. I use Hammond Marina/Whiting Marina if I fish this area in the summer months. See several Chicago PD units sitting in the area a lot. DNR pops in ever so often for parking lot inspections and fish counts.
Enjoy, be safe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wallin

Perching Soon Oct 13, 2022 8:54 am #35963

• Glennd
  • Thank you received: 9
Last time I used that launch which was this past summer it was 25.00 to launch. And I was the only truck/trailer in the lot. The only reason I used it was because the launch was closed that day at Hammond. I never use that ramp unless I have to I’d rather drive 5 more minutes and launch at Hammond which is gated and protected and 5.00 bucks cheaper for launch fee. It’s to bad the city of Chicago can’t put a little effort into making that ramp a little more usable. I think that nice floating dock has been sitting on the ramp for at least 5 years maybe more. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wallin

Perching Soon Oct 16, 2022 5:41 pm #35971

• Lund
Decided to go out this morning just to get out. Launched Hammond with my son, Brad and went to the Cal River. Lake was awesome way under 2ft.
Scanned the mouth at several points for schools of "perch". Didn't locate any schools resembling perch. Worked our way south scanning, Nothing up to 95th.
Went to Crowley's(first turn around basin)  and scanned a few large schools of possible perch. Did drop a perch rig and had a few hits but nothing hooked.
Boated south checking area north and south of 106th bridge. Scanned a few schools of something. Didn't drop any perch rigs.

Surface water temp at mouth of Cal river 56 degrees. Back around slips north and south of 106th Street Bridge 59 degrees. River clarity not bad, little milky.

Getting close. Be safe out there. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: Glennd, Wallin, LWL, Redjones, daybreak

Perching Soon Oct 17, 2022 8:07 am #35972

• badredram
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 236
Thanks for the update!
>2014 Alumacraft Dominator 185 Black/White - "Tin Star"

Perching Soon Oct 17, 2022 9:31 am #35974

• Tmurch
  • Thank you received: 2
Won't be long now. Thanks for the info

Perching Soon Oct 17, 2022 12:00 pm #35975

• Redjones
  • Thank you received: 40
Good report, thanks for the info.

Greg 
Semper FI

• Page: