• Page:

TOPIC:

Gary AM 3/10 Mar 10, 2018 4:52 pm #17939

• badredram
  • badredram's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 236
Our speed was from 2.5-2.9. That seemed to work the best.
>2014 Alumacraft Dominator 185 Black/White - "Tin Star"
The following user(s) said Thank You: dtLund13

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gary AM 3/10 Mar 10, 2018 6:06 pm #17941

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1683

The following did not produce:

brads thin fins
~bronze with red harring bone pattern
~red with black squiggles

~orange fat rap
~orange j-9
~pink and black spoon

We were trolling around 2.2 mph, sometimes a little slower depending on direction

I would say too slow Doug. Most cranks have pretty poor action at those speeds. I think Justin's speeds were right on 2.5 - 2.9. Now if you were running primarily dodgers and flies, then your speeds would have been spot on.
Boatless!

Last edit: by Dirty.

Gary AM 3/10 Mar 10, 2018 6:25 pm #17942

• dtLund13
  • Thank you received: 35
Thank you!

Gary AM 3/10 Mar 10, 2018 7:28 pm #17945

• Angry Pirate
  • Thank you received: 488
Nice job guys. Today was serious fast action today. Tons of fun. Will be out tomorrow as well. If anyone tried to call me on the radio for some reason I was on channel 69 this morning. Guess I had other things on my mind lol.
It's better to ask forgiveness than for permission.

Gary AM 3/10 Mar 10, 2018 7:35 pm #17947

• Angry Pirate
  • Thank you received: 488
I would agree with Dirty on your speed. One of the most important things to remember when you set up your salmon trolling spread. Is that your baits have to match your speed. Don’t mix match dodger fly with fast action cranks. Bc one bait is useless depending on what speed you are going. If you want to run dodger fly and cranks be sure to pick cranks that work well at slow speeds. That goes for all salmon fishing as well. Things to think about. Setting a good salmon spread is a true art form and a work of science.
It's better to ask forgiveness than for permission.

Gary AM 3/10 Mar 10, 2018 9:37 pm #17953

• Jums
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 117
Today was definetly insane. I don't think I had a chance to get all rods in the water but maybe once. Seemed like every time I would get 4 lines in the water while setting the fifth we would pull doubles and triples. Weird your bronze brads with the red back bones didn't produce cus thats been my number one lure this year and easily took half my limit today. But speed is key. I was around the 2.5-2.7 and it was a 45 minute fire drill till we limited out.
Handle- "Firefly"
2009 Hewes Craft Sea Runner 200
2016 Alumacraft Competitor 175

Gary AM 3/10 Mar 27, 2018 10:33 pm #18319

• southshore
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 471
Hey Doug, this is John Angyus, not sure if you had made the connection. Anyway I thought about this post and never responded. If you have a bait that’s hot for others but not working for you, check the tuning on that lure out. Run the lure along side the boat and make sure its running straight and true. Drop it back and pull it foward while you’re trolling. If it pulls one way or the other or rolls out, tweak the line tie eyelet ever so slightly the opposite direction until it tracks straight. The hook eyes need to be straight too. I had a thin fish for years, blue/chrome. I always liked the plug, but it never caught fish, One day i really watched it along the boat and noticed it wasnt tracking straight. I tuned it up with a pair of pliers and now its always a good produce in high sun for me. Thinfish and Jointed rapalas are really tolerant plugs, but can get knocked out of tune. If you ever get into running flatfish or kwikfish in the streams you’ll quickly learn how important tuning a plug is..I tune my creek plugs every time I hiit a fish or switch plugs.

Last edit: by southshore.
  • Page: