Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fall kings Aug 02, 2023 9:11 am #38039

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
At Portage I've caught them in the fall from 15 feet to 45 feet deep. The active fish can be anywhere in the top 2/3rds of the water column. Neutral fish are usually in the middle 1/3rd of the column. Inactive fish, near the bottom. 
East Chicago the lure depths are nearly the same.  I suspect most fish will be caught along the steelmill wall from the Marina to the end of the wall since the fish are stocked in the marina these days. Late in the run, I'd expect the fish to be closer to the marina than down by the end. Buffington lighthouse and wall could be a sleeper spot.  Ship canal used to be super, but since the Whiting stockings were stopped, it's not been much of a hotspot. Amoco discharge can hold fish since there's a current there. 
Bottom depths are insignificant as most of the area is 30- 35 feet deep. 

Lures - Mag spoons are good. J-Plugs - J-13 Rapalas and large crankbaits like Hot n Tots will work. Don't overlook dodgers/flashers/flies but at least for me, they've not been reliable producers.  Towards late Sept. and October I use more flashers/flies since the cohos are starting to show in the same areas at Portage.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nickech23

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: