Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wire Divers Apr 17, 2018 7:39 am #18898

• netminder34
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 104
Sorry guys no magic here it is a harmonic affect that is produced by the wire being pulled through the water at the proper speed. Your riggers produce the same sounds and when trolling at the proper speed you should be able to hear them clearly, I have mentioned this before. Now for the Wire Dipsey it is harder to hear due to the angle and pull on the line but it is there just more subtle. Lots of research and developement goes into products that produce sounds and electrical currents that can be transmitted into the water to help entice a feeding frenzy. Haven't tried any of those but have seen the harmonic affect in action for over 40yrs chasing these silver fish, it is there, and is very helpfull in putting fish in the boat.
Jeff
17' Smokercraft "Kings Ransom 2.0"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wire Divers Apr 17, 2018 5:57 pm #18899

• BigEdV
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Winter Maintenance
  • Thank you received: 361

I would say placebo affect except I really didnt expect to do well with it when I bought it since 1) it was new and had to learn it 2) I didnt see how it would make that much difference over braid. For me it made all the difference and now I have more confidence in it so it will have that advantage moving forward.

Clearly Ed, it was the magic left in that rig when it was passed on to you!!!

Well it was nice of the person I bought it from to to leave the magic on it!!
-Eddo-

2014 Alumacraft competitor 175 aka "The Geek Squad"

Wire Divers Apr 17, 2018 9:13 pm #18902

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1683
:)
Boatless!

Wire Divers Apr 17, 2018 9:22 pm #18904

• Jums
  • Jums's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 117
Thanks for the input guys now to the final question. This is just for my curiosity rather than advice. Does anyone ever change out colors of their dipsy? I usually run a UV orange and yellow for coho and was gonna run a silver with black ring for kings. Didn’t know if anyone ever noticed swapping divers out ever produced or not
Handle- "Firefly"
2009 Hewes Craft Sea Runner 200
2016 Alumacraft Competitor 175

Wire Divers Apr 18, 2018 10:47 am #18905

• Angry Pirate
  • Thank you received: 488
I can tell you guys this. A couple years ago fishing offshore 4 trips in a row everyone around me was catching Kings within the pack of boats. The second I picked up my wire divers and started running them I was catching Kings with everyone else. I now hate braid divers lol. I have no experimented much with diver colors but I typically run fire tiger color ones.
It's better to ask forgiveness than for permission.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jums

Wire Divers Apr 18, 2018 1:04 pm #18912

• netminder34
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 104
I have several colors on the boat and usually run Silver, Green or Orange. I have run different colors at different times and cant say that I can really relate one color doing any better on any one or string of days. I guess I look at it like this; the dipsey presentation is not a subtle lure presentation, the flash of a diver and cavitation of it being pulled through the water are either going to attract or spook the heck out of them. Depends on the feeding cycle I believe if they are active or negative towards the diver presentation. I say this since everyone knows that steelhead are a pretty spooky fish and run baits as far away from the boat as possible to increase potential bites, but I have caught many a steelhead on dipseys over the years that would contradict that thought process.
Jeff
17' Smokercraft "Kings Ransom 2.0"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hooked, Jums

Wire Divers Apr 28, 2018 8:50 am #19102

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
I'm sure the color of the diver makes a difference along with about a dozen other subtle things too nit-picky to worry about. If you have it so dialed in that the difference between catching a fish and not is whether the diver is green or yellow, you are going to catch a whack of fish. Don't worry about it!

Wire/braid - not much difference until you get to 1: Expense (special rods) and 2: when the fishhook fleas come out. A FH flea will swim halfway across lake Michigan to stick on my Braided line divers. 3: Hand a braid diver rig to a rookie and tell him to let it out and you probably won't have an issue. Hand a wire line diver rig to a rookie and you will soon have a Brillo Pad.

Either way, 30 lb is about right. Heavier is thicker, won't dive as deep. Lighter and you will never own 3, 4 or 10 year old Dipsey Divers.

Wire Divers Apr 28, 2018 1:13 pm #19103

• little bill
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 61
Good post mike.

Wire Divers Apr 28, 2018 4:32 pm #19105

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Thank you received: 509
Second that thought also. I like to use chrome, metallic green and blue and ones that are green and blue dolphin patterned.
My Searunner 190, "Four "D's" and a "C". Retirement money well spent.

• Page: