Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

First copper line setup questions Feb 03, 2023 11:33 am #36347

• vartijoe
  • Thank you received: 7
I run the Big John Otter boats and love them! I use a mast about 6' long and the boards track well off to the side. I made some modifications, I hinged the keel so I can fold them for easy storage and I added a flag to each one for other boaters to see. They are great for lead core or braid with torpedo divers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

First copper line setup questions Feb 03, 2023 3:11 pm #36348

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
I've been on boats with BJ Otter Boats and they do work very well. My biggest objection for us guys with smaller size boats is their size. It's not like they will slide under a seat or into a compartment. The boogers are huge and the smaller the boat, the bigger they seem. I use the Offshore double ski models and they work just fine plus, they collapse and stow out of the way. It's not rocket science, I'm sure there are several brands that work equally well. Offshore does make a triple ski model as well. They work good but are a little overkill for me. I see walleye charters on Lake Erie using them with 6 or 8 lines per side.  

First copper line setup questions Feb 03, 2023 4:35 pm #36349

• vartijoe
  • Thank you received: 7
They are big, that's why I modified the keel with a hinge. They fold up to the thickness of the main body. I'd post a picture but there on the boat in storage.

I made a set of double ski  similar to the Offshore boards but did make options to fold them. They track as good as the Otter Boats  but as BN says boat space is always needed. They're hanging in the garage un used!

First copper line setup questions Feb 04, 2023 4:32 am #36351

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
Glad you are all set. Good Luck. I'm planting a seed here. When (not if) you get a  backlash when deploying the copper, think to yourself, "this wouldn't have happened with weighted steel."  

When I used copper I had two things that kept me sane.

One:  NEVER let a rookie set out a copper.
Two:  When setting out a copper line repeat over and over - "copper line hates me. copper line hates me, copper line hates me."

First copper line setup questions Feb 04, 2023 9:28 pm #36354

• go4bigfish
  • go4bigfish's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 422
I guess I'll deploy while on plane to prevent it!

• Page: