• Page:

TOPIC:

Worth going out tomorrow? May 12, 2017 10:24 am #14041

• Dirty
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1683

I have a 38 gal. tank in my new boat. 2016 suzuki 140 4 stroke which has been real good on gas, and a 2017 suzuki 9.9 kicker that ties into my main. I've ran to deep out of Wisconsin area where the trip isn't as far. But never launching out of Portage. How do you think that would fair as far as fuel range?

You will be fine going anywhere with that setup. I have a 46 gal fuel tank and have gone 20+ miles offshore, trolled all day and back and still didnt use a half tank. I would expect your boat to be more fuel efficient than mine.
Boatless!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Worth going out tomorrow? May 12, 2017 10:27 am #14042

• SafeCracker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 94
If I didn't have any idea of the range of my boat, I would top my tank off and make a decent run of a known distance. For example, Portage to East Chicago or Michigan City and back. Or even Gary. Compute the distance travelled and top your fuel tank off again.

Most offshore days are 12-20 miles out plus your normal fuel used for trolling. If you can troll all day, cover 40 miles of water and have at least 3/8 tank of fuel left at the bare minimum you are ok.
Greg ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :woohoo:

Last edit: by SafeCracker.

Worth going out tomorrow? May 13, 2017 7:07 pm #14064

• DAYOFF
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 49
12 miles out, 12 miles in is 24 miles, at 2 miles per gallon is 12 gallons of gas. The kicker for a few hours might be 3 gallons. NO Problem on fuel if full before you leave.

• Page: