Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

What's wrong Sep 28, 2018 9:54 am #21410

• Angry Pirate
  • Thank you received: 488
To be honest I fear for the men who make there living on the lake. With how health conscious people are today. what happens when the general public finds out that 80 percent of the lake trout caught are not supposed to be eaten? What does that do to charters? Will their business still thrive on a fishery like that? There are several months of our season that’s all lake trout. Will it force them out of business? We need a strong healthy balance.......of all species. I get the lake can’t support what it used to I’m not pressing for more just a better return on funds spent. Which will create an even better fishery than we have now. I see a lot of effort and passion being bit into all species except for kings. Maybe it’s there but it seems like it’s not. Would taking our own eggs from fish that come in late help move our king run from the end of the summer to more fall time with cooler temps in the lake and streams help for a start? Would net pens help reduce the 20 to 40 percent of lost fish to birds shortly after stocking?
It's better to ask forgiveness than for permission.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Angry Pirate.

What's wrong Sep 28, 2018 11:58 am #21411

• MC_angler
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1286

The reason Wisconsin stocks a disproportionate amount of kings compared to other states now is that the last go-round of cuts they elected to drastically slash their brown trout stockings and I believe reduce some steelhead as well to retain some of their chinook stockings. The Lake Michigan Committee agreed that individual states could achieve stocking cuts using multiple species if they desired, as long as they did not exceed the overall stocking quota agreed upon.

Ben I’m very positive they did cut some brown trout and steelhead but not over large numbers but allso cut 400000 lake trout. Michigan took those lake trout and stocked them in deep water probably as a slap in Wisconsin’s face for going against what everyone else was doing. I agree with you I don’t want any of our silver fish cut by an big numbers. You guys have done a great job with the steelhead and lake trout it’s something to be proud of. But we have plenty of lake trout that will be self sustaining. I am no biologist and don’t follow stocking to the tee. Can we cut all lake trout stocking and stock the Appropriate amount of kings to make the difference. I think I’ve heard it’s like 4 greasers to 1 king? I would be willing to bet most anglers would be for it. I personally believe there is a storm forming in Indiana there are a lot of unhappy fisherman.Some charter captains are starting to speak publicly on there feelings. I do not think we need to just do what ever we want science has to back the decisions. If our number is 60000 kings that’s what it is. We need to do something different, if what we are doing now is not working. No need to let good money go to bad but the answer is definitely not “no kings”. Why does indiana not try net pens and get our own data instead of using someone else’s data. I am also willing to bet if Dnr is willing to put in the effort there are a lot of people willing to help for free if Dnr did not have the resources. Don’t we lose a large percentage of our fish just after they are released to birds? Common sense tells me net pens would help leaps and bounds with that especially in a harbor or marina. In other words I believe things need to change.

Michigan agreed to take those lake trout on a temporary basis, since they were already raised and slated to be stocked prior to the decision to cut... not sure how that is a slap in the face, it was actually doing Wisconsin a huge favor. They were going to be planted somewhere in the lake, and Michigan did Wisconsin a huge solid by taking them on paper. They functional ecological impact of whether they were stocked 1 mile on either side of an imaginary line in the middle of the lake is the same. But that way Wisconsin got to keep their kings.

And I would call their brown trout reductions significant - between 350,000 and 400,000 brown trout reduction.

There are no lake trout stocked in Indiana anymore, so we can't cut lake trout to add back kings. We've already eliminated them. Oddly enough, we have gotten complaints about that, too.

Lakewide there are only something like 300,000 lake trout outside the treaty waters, which are court-mandated to be planted. Those are all stocked in Illinois now

In terms of bird predation, as I believe I outlined in my post above, net pens do not help alleviate bird predation for fish stocked upriver, like we do in Trail Creek and the Little Cal. Net penning helps eliminate immediate predation on disoriented harbor-stocked smolts by birds. Since we are not harbor stocking, that point is moot. The fish coming out of the river are acclimated to the new environment and leave at their own discretion, just like they would from a net pen. Terns, mergansers, and to a much lesser extent cormorants, are going to get some level of smolts once they migrate out to the harbors, regardless of if you net pen them first just upstream from the harbor.

I'm not sure what else to say, Bill. You say that you want science to back decisions, but then argue for common sense and want things to change, despite evidence and professional opinion that net pens aren't going to alleviate smolt predation issues.

What has to change is that we have to let the stocking cuts run their course, build bait back up, and then be able to increase stocking. We've said that is our hope throughout this entire process. With all the reports of how much bait people are seeing, and the excellent fish size and fishing for most of the year, I would hope that more people see that there have been positive effects and hope for the future, and that maybe lake managers knew what they were doing after all.

IN terms of things changing and passion for kings, we made a very purposeful and thought out decision to stock the entirety of the kings in one location for a given year. That was done with smolt predation in mind - if there are a large number of smolts outmigrating together, there's only so many that can get eaten by a fixed number of predators. You basically overwhelm them and have less overall predation. That's why baitfish school, right? We believe that if we split up the stocking into several small stockings, we'd see a higher proportion of smolt mortality as a result. We also eliminated some poorly performing fall fingerling skamania and are slightly increasing to 70-75K kings moving forward, which isn't a huge increase but it's something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pikesmith, scoffer

What's wrong Sep 28, 2018 12:02 pm #21412

• MC_angler
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Question about the Wisconsin stats: You said they "recovered 8.89 fish per 1000 stocked in net pens, and 9.65 per 1000 stocked directly in the river."
What does "recovered" mean? Does that mean they had only a 1.854 percent return to the river? That return rate seems a bit low for a Wisconsin River and similar to Indiana's recent percentage of return.

Sort of. Since it's only 2 years of recovery, it doesn't encompass the whole cohort of fish yet. They only recovered jacks in 2016, and jacks and 2 year olds this last year. This year will have the recoveries of 3 year olds and the rate of return for that whole cohort will increase

And you are also right in that it's not a great rate of return... even the mighty Wisconsin kings with the best survival in the lake cannot return in numbers like they did 10+ years ago when there was a lot more bait

What's wrong Sep 28, 2018 12:28 pm #21414

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1742
What is the predation rate on kings in Indiana? 20%-40% more? What is the predation rate on coho,steel and browns?

Would also like to see the cost of each smolt by species that we stock for 2019. The number of each species stocked for 2019. Kings are around 45 cents? Coho? Steel? Browns?The amount of hatchery time for each. And size of each when stocked.
Thanks
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away

What's wrong Sep 28, 2018 12:31 pm #21415

• MC_angler
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Yes it would be hard to get them to cut some of those Huron Kings. The other downfall to those fish being counted as Lake Michigan fish is we down here don't see those fish much if the northern part is holding bait. Add in the natural king numbers and that leaves us down here as having to depend on kings that spend little time in our water.It really shows up every season around the 3rd week of July. North wind blows our bait moves fish are gone never really to return the rest of the season.
I think I remember you talking about a larger size coho smolt project. What was the reason for doing that if I remembered correctly and has it been done with kings?
Would also like to see the cost of each smolt by species that we stock for 2019. The number of each species stocked for 2019. Kings are around 45 cents? Coho? Steel? Browns?The amount of hatchery time for each. And size of each when stocked. Thanks

Cost per fish gets into some really fuzzy math, because the bulk of hatchery operation costs like utilities, staffing, and infrastructure are fairly fixed, and economies of scale come into play with stocking numbers. It gets even fuzzier when you start trying to apportion costs across yearclasses and yearlings vs fingerlings, and completely ignores the condition and size of those fish stages, which is crucially important for survival and return. And, if you are operating any raceways at less than capacity, it really messes with any cost estimates.

A very rough rule of thumb would be around 40-50 cents per chinook, $2.25ish coho yearling, slightly less for a steelhead yearling, and 75c to $1 per coho or steelhead fingerling. Brown trout is probably pretty comparable to steelhead but we don't raise them. Same for lake trout.

Yes, you remember correctly about the larger coho on the St. Joe River. We had been stocking fall fingerlings, and seeing about a 0.5% return. We reduced the number of fish stocked and held them over until yearling size, and have seen returns between 4 and 6% as a result.

That same thing can't be done with chinooks, because they smolt as fingerlings, not yearlings like coho and steelhead. The reason chinooks are so cheap to raise is that they are only in the hatchery for a few months before they are stocked and smolt/outmigrate. This means, aside from less staff time and food, they also can be held in much higher densities within a raceway, and require less infrastructure to produce.

There's a ton of oversimplification below, since there are two steelhead strains, and we're raising bigger skamania for the St. Joe... and this is a weighted average of length. There's always a distribution of lengths within a pond of fish, which matters a lot too. But big picture, here's the average size of all the species stocked in Indiana the past couple years

Chinook spring fingerlings - 95 mm
Coho fall fingerlings - 153 mm
Coho yearlings - 189 mm
Steelhead fingerlings - 120 mm
Steelhead yearlings - 187 mm

Below is a graphic of the residence time. You can see how it is complex to juggle all the constantly moving parts with fish that spawn at different times of year and are stocked at different times of year at different life stages. And why coho and steelhead yearlings are more expensive than chinook fingerlings

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty, Pikesmith, RiverRat, scoffer

What's wrong Sep 28, 2018 1:14 pm #21417

• Angry Pirate
  • Thank you received: 488
Ben I think some of what I said was taken out of context/ maybe a little personal. Or I didn’t get my point across. I don’t follow all the stocking very closely. What I was getting at if we have been stocking the same way for years the lake has changed we all can agree to that. Maybe we need to change everything we do with the kings including stocking procedure. All I have to go off of is what I see..... indiana king fishing is not great and Michigan and Illinois is allso not great. Michigan only seems to do well where they get natural spawning fish up north. But Wisconsin seems to be doing very well take it for granted they are putting more in but they seem to be getting 10 times the fish anyone else is getting. I am enjoying this thread bc lots of good info is being exchanged.
It's better to ask forgiveness than for permission.

What's wrong Sep 28, 2018 1:20 pm #21418

• Tmik34
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1133
Great conversation everyone. Also wanted to thank Ben for being active in this conversation. We are all passionate about our fishery which is great to see. I personally have seen the fishing improve a lot since what i believe to be the low years of 2015 and 16. Im looking forward to the future and the future looks a lot more promising than it did a few yrs ago.
-Lady M- Sea Ray 290 Amberjack
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pikesmith

What's wrong Sep 28, 2018 1:31 pm #21419

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks for the cost information.

Michigan agreed to take those lake trout on a temporary basis, since they were already raised and slated to be stocked prior to the decision to cut... not sure how that is a slap in the face, it was actually doing Wisconsin a huge favor. They were going to be planted somewhere in the lake, and Michigan did Wisconsin a huge solid by taking them on paper. They functional ecological impact of whether they were stocked 1 mile on either side of an imaginary line in the middle of the lake is the same. But that way Wisconsin got to keep their kings

I talked with Wisconsin this morning and that subject came up. Seems that they see it differently. They made adjustments to their stocking program reducing other fish which also included the 400,000 lake trout. That gave Wisconsin their adjusted numbers for stocking. So the rub came when nobody is suppose to go over lake wide numbers. When the 400,000 lakers were added back in,by Michigan, then that meant the amount of fish lake wide instantly went up by 400,000 when Wisconsin cut those fish. The goal post changed.
Lickety-Split

Last edit: by Lickety-Split.

What's wrong Sep 28, 2018 1:47 pm #21420

• MC_angler
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I think we're saying the same thing Ed, but in different ways

Those lake trout existed as yearlings at the time the stocking cut decision was being agreed upon. They'd already been coded wire tagged and were ready to be stocked. They were always going to be put in the lake for that one particular stocking, since the decision came after those fish were raised. No agency is going to dump fully raised fish on the ground, period.

That 400K stocking was agreed to be eliminated going forward.

The real goal post that moved from my perspective was that Wisconsin was allowed to keep their chinook stocking at the previous level, without waiting another year for those 400K lake trout to be eliminated.

What's wrong Sep 28, 2018 2:37 pm #21421

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Reaching out to others that have been using net pens, the biggest reason for going that way slowly was to first cut down on the predation of smolts. What is our lost to predation? 20-40%? Higher? If we don't try something different then the results will always be the same.It makes no sense to spend money, the time and effort to turn those smolts into bird poop. Net pens offered the use of releasing fingerlings at night or right before to cut down on predation by birds,gulls and commarants.It started with fishing groups that got together to raise some money, purchased a few net pens after getting signed off by the state and took off from there. High school shop classes helped with some of the labor also.
Alot of personal time by fishing groups to help in feeding and other needs
.You guys can google info on how much cormorants eat. You will be shocked.

Ben, when we gave up the federal lakers for Indiana we didn't get anything for them? Wasn't that a reduction in mouths to feed?
Lickety-Split