• Page:

TOPIC:

Flares/signal devices Jun 06, 2023 5:26 am #37666

• reel fun
  • reel fun's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 202
Thanks all for the replies. My Sirius handheld arrived yesterday and am satisfied with it, no more flares!!
ON another note, I was surprised at the size of the orange flag...any problems with this folded up and stowed? 
I have nothing to attach it to either?
Also, I think "technically" my boat may not be required for the day signal at 15' 10" if I read the rules correctly. Going to obviously carry it regardless.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by reel fun.

Flares/signal devices Jun 06, 2023 8:38 pm #37672

• Bk
  • Thank you received: 28
You could zip tie the distress flag to a fishing pole or vhf radio if you have one. 

Flares/signal devices Jul 05, 2023 12:08 pm #37851

• Angry Pirate
  • Thank you received: 488
Yes you can substitute the electronic device that flashes the sos morose code and the day time distress flag. But food for though. In the day time you won’t see that flash from very far away or that flag. To me if your life depends on it in a true emergency you are going down. Smokes are the best signaling devices. Ariel flares are the best for night time. You shoot a flare up in the air at night when you see the coast guard chopper 4 miles away with its spot light down into the water they won’t miss it. I understand they are expensive but when your life matters you want to be found. Also we should all have a manual hand pump on our boats. It could also save you. I helped a fellow boater in distress that may have been in big trouble if I didn’t stop my charter for a few minutes to help. Just something to think about incase the worst possible thing happens out there. 
It's better to ask forgiveness than for permission.
The following user(s) said Thank You: go4bigfish, reel fun, Wallin, edac, StormJunkie

• Page: