• Page:

TOPIC:

Indiana Community Tournament Sep 18, 2023 8:03 am #38258

• Lickety-Split
  • Lickety-Split's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1740
I have been kicking a idea around. How many of you would be interested in a braggers tournament?

Looking forward to spring time 2024..

Our fishery is very dependent on our hatcheries. Mixsawbah is our main hatchery. It is now 50 years old, and needs some work. The states funding is slim, and help is always appreciated by the Mixsawbah staff. This hatchery is usually manned by 4 people. But do to other issues recently went down to a 2 man crew.

Recently I spoke to Lake County Fish and Game. That group has taken on helping Mixsawbah where they can. Man power was provided to make the night stocking happen for East Chicago. Money has been provided to help Mixsawbah with some extra needs, by this group.

Would the rest of the fishing community be interested in helping if they could? There may be a way to get everyone involved if you would care to.

What if we ran a fishing tournament that all monies raised went directly to helping Mixsawbah. A braggers tournament where you could weigh in your fish for bragging rights, but the money raised went directly to the hatchery. Entry fee could be set up by person or by boat. Food later for all that entered into this. Would really like to hear from others on your thoughts.
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Lickety-Split.

Indiana Community Tournament Sep 18, 2023 11:23 am #38259

• Whalerman
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 75
I'm all for raising money by any means necessary, but I guess where I'm lost on the issue is how the state can't seem to want to prioritize putting more funds and resources into the importance of the fishery, especially when a hatchery is involved?  I mean, if it's as bad as you say it is, how can the state not get after this, given how important a role Lake Michigan plays for the northern most counties.  And while I'm not political nor even have the understanding to see how fish and wildlife funds could overlap with the huge budget surplus funds that the state has and brags about in the past, there has to be a better way to draw up money than some local conservation clubs and a tournament.  And mind you, I'm not losing sight either about how "every little bit helps" because it all matters - I do get it.

Maybe Ben can chime in on this, but it was my understanding that some of the local fish and wildlife areas in particular (I believe Willow Slough did this) was able to take donated funds and either double or triple those amounts by accessing other program funds that would match the contribution.  So in essence, the state (and the resource) got 2 or 3 for 1 on those dollars donated.  That being said, would programs like that exist for the fishery as well?  That way, money from your tourney and another other conservation groups would then be monetized even further.  

Again, just a thought: I'm definitely not trying to discourage or downplay this tourney idea.  Just thinking outside the box and maximize $$...

Indiana Community Tournament Sep 18, 2023 1:32 pm #38260

• Paul_L
  • Thank you received: 74
Silver fish only tournament....???

Fishmaster 196

Indiana Community Tournament Sep 18, 2023 1:49 pm #38261

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
yes silver fish since that is what Mixsawbah raises.
Lickety-Split

The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul_L

Indiana Community Tournament Sep 18, 2023 2:07 pm #38262

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Whalerman,
I'll try to answer your questions the best I can.

Everything you mentioned I have also agreed with at one time. the State knows it has a value in this fishery. But why spend money if everyone is happy?

I try to look at things thru the other persons eyes. Or the old saying walk a mile in my shoes. Our hatchery guys are not getting rich doing what they do. Raises over time have been very slow. The bottom two positions recently lost was due to pay. Can't blame somebody can you? Many of our people filling DNR positions are there because they really like what they do. I first went to Mixsawbah to make friends and let them know I cared. It allowed me to ask the hard questions. I would hope that more would ask the hard questions. If we want more from this fishery we are going to have to give more to get it. The resources are really that slim. I would ask more to call Ben or make a appointment to come in and sit with him. Make yourself a list of questions to ask that you want answers to. Even in the state of Michigan, groups that wanted more had to go after it the state didn't just give. Below is a list for all the different groups in Michigan that stepped up to help on projects like net pens. In this state many of the positions in the fishery side of the DNR have been eliminated. We ask alot of Ben and are quick to blame at times when he is doing his job as Biologist. I have asked Ben to move the Mixsawbah issue up the chain and he has. That is all I can do there. I have written letters to some of our politicians and again that is all I can do. But I truly believe that the more we take on as a community is the way forward. I am always open to working with anyone or group that really wants to move the ball forward.  Or we can be satisfied with the status quo. I'm now 68 years old and wonder how many years I have left in this fishery. I have been very blessed with being part of the last 50. Hope it will continue for another.
Lickety-Split

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by Lickety-Split.

Indiana Community Tournament Sep 18, 2023 2:16 pm #38263

• Paul_L
  • Thank you received: 74
Perfect.....hope it comes about
Fishmaster 196
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split

Indiana Community Tournament Sep 18, 2023 8:27 pm #38264

• Dirty
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1683
I like the idea a ton Ed - alot to figure out but great idea.  :)
Boatless!

Last edit: by Dirty.

Indiana Community Tournament Sep 19, 2023 11:27 am #38265

• Stroke of Luck
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 325
Another option might be to add $10 (or whatever) to all the Hoosier Club (or other club) tournaments.  A one day tournament may not get the participation based on on number of factors but adding an amount to 10 tournaments likely to have good turnout would generate more in donations.  I think everyone that signs up for those tournaments wouldn't have an issue chipping in a little to support the future of the tournaments they are fishing in.

Indiana Community Tournament Sep 19, 2023 8:59 pm #38267

• Trent
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 9/12/1957
  • Thank you received: 352
I'd be interested and willing if I'm able!

Indiana Community Tournament Sep 20, 2023 10:44 am #38269

• MC_angler
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1272

I'm all for raising money by any means necessary, but I guess where I'm lost on the issue is how the state can't seem to want to prioritize putting more funds and resources into the importance of the fishery, especially when a hatchery is involved?  I mean, if it's as bad as you say it is, how can the state not get after this, given how important a role Lake Michigan plays for the northern most counties.  And while I'm not political nor even have the understanding to see how fish and wildlife funds could overlap with the huge budget surplus funds that the state has and brags about in the past, there has to be a better way to draw up money than some local conservation clubs and a tournament.  And mind you, I'm not losing sight either about how "every little bit helps" because it all matters - I do get it.

Maybe Ben can chime in on this, but it was my understanding that some of the local fish and wildlife areas in particular (I believe Willow Slough did this) was able to take donated funds and either double or triple those amounts by accessing other program funds that would match the contribution.  So in essence, the state (and the resource) got 2 or 3 for 1 on those dollars donated.  That being said, would programs like that exist for the fishery as well?  That way, money from your tourney and another other conservation groups would then be monetized even further.  

Again, just a thought: I'm definitely not trying to discourage or downplay this tourney idea.  Just thinking outside the box and maximize $$...

So the Division of Fish and Wildlife essentially gets no general funding from the state budget. It's funded by license dollar sales and federal dollars from excise taxes (Dingell-Johnson, Pittman-Robertson, and Wallop-Breaux acts are the relevant legislation if you want to google it). The state supplies 25% of the funding and gets 75% in return from the feds - which is what you're referencing with other properties leveraging donated.  So yes, it's a 3:1 match if the state can provide money. 

As far as the state budget surplus:   it doesn't get so big by the state spending money.  The best way for the public to make an impact  is to write their state legislators and tell them how much outdoor recreation means to you and the local economy, and urge them to allocate money for large DNR infrastructure projects. Some people did when the chinook public survey input first happened, so it may be on a few NWI legislators radars already. Now would be a great time to make sure it stays there by contacting them. 

In particular, DNR fish hatcheries are very aging infrastructure. Mixsawbah (built in the early 70s) and Bodine (early 80s) are the 2 NEWEST hatcheries in Indiana. The system needs millions and millions to address infrastructure issues, much less improve them above and beyond their initial status when they were first built. Michigan just spend nearly 35 million just on deferred maintenance alone, for example
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty, Steelie Don, Lickety-Split, Tmik34, Pikesmith, StormJunkie

• Page: