• Page:

TOPIC:

Downrigger question Jan 21, 2024 6:20 am #38627

• BNature
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
A part of it is if you can afford it, a part of it is the configuration on the boat. I have a friend who bought a nice 20' polar kraft and then bought four of the biggest Canon riggers available for it. It's like having a pair of elephants on the stern. Probably if he'd of gotten some smaller models it wouldn't be that bad. Most of the time when I'm with him, we only mount two of them. Part of the problem is also the PKs livewell is just ahead of the splashwell so it's like 4 feet from the transom to the where you can stand on the floor. He had to mount both of them along the gunwales since Shaq Oneil wouldn't be able to reach the weight to set a line over the stern. That meant moving all the planer board rods farther forward and getting them all planted so tight together it's a mess, as well. 
So plan and see how they might work. Because....
Unlike charter captains and tournament guys, fishing should be about the fun of catching a fish. Catching a fish using a downrigger set 60 feet deep is way more fun than catching a fish on a 300 copper. I've been on boats before when 10-color lines were crushing the fish. The people were arguing about who "had" to reel in the next one. There'd be a race to the rod when a downrigger bounced!   
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ltrain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Downrigger question Jan 21, 2024 10:31 pm #38631

• Ltrain
  • Ltrain's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 293
I see what you're saying  BN. As far as configuration,  the nice thing about the Fishmasters is the cutout by the splashwell that allows you to get right by the transom. If you take a look at the pic reel fun posted, I'll be set up the same way so it should work out okay.  If I go with 4 riggers I'll run a pair of dipsys then a pair of pump handles on TX 44's- that should give me a nice spread.  Thanks for all the insight,  much appreciated. 

200hp Tohatsu
9.9hp Tohatsu
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 Li batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 tabs
Traxstech 72" , Berts 24" tracks
2 Big Jon Capt packs
MK 15' Talon
Lowrance autopilot

Downrigger question Jan 23, 2024 9:12 am #38643

• Trent
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 9/12/1957
  • Thank you received: 351
We run the two outside riggers with a dipsy on each side then run copper and flatlines in the spring. We dont start running 4 downriggers until we find fish below 60 to 70 fow but it depends on water temps. As it starts warming up and cooler water is deeper that's when we start running 4 downriggers

Its really nice having the back of the boat wide open to be able to fight fish especially when you have two or three and sometimes four on at a time.

Just what we've been doing but each year we change according to what's happening and weather conditions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ltrain

• Page: