Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

2022 Coho Cabin Fever Tournament - April 9 Apr 11, 2022 9:29 pm #33952

• Shawk
  • Thank you received: 5
Jeff encouraged participants to post reports.  Before reporting, Thank You Jeff and your crew for organizing and conducting this tournament! Appreciate you doing this every year!!
Regarding fishing, we did not do anything special. Fished 7 boards with Thin Fish and 2 driggers with spoons. All of our fish were caught in front of Mich City btwn Lighthouse and Cooling Tower.
Two actions that might have helped us a bit were to:
- Focus on coho. We did not dedicate any rods or our focus to anything but coho.  This was a challenge because there were some Chinook in the area and who wouldn't want to catch those.
- Stay on fish. We did not leave the area where we and others caught fish. We made a lot of circles and fished in a lot of traffic to stay in the area where fish were being caught.
Again, nothing special, but hope this might be heloful nonetheless.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty, dogsbestfriend, Sundevil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2022 Coho Cabin Fever Tournament - April 9 Apr 11, 2022 11:00 pm #33953

• Kickr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 121
Michigan City,  IN 4/5-6-9-10We fished a few evenings last week and Sunday morning with fishing being great and getting better! We have been working 15-40 fow with bait depths in the top 15ft being best. What has been working for us are body baits and Michigan Stinger Pro Team  spoons on everything from flat lines to 3 colors of lead pulled behind Church Tackle walleye boards and downriggers down 10-20ft! We fished the Hoosier Coho Club  cabin fever tournament finishing 7th overall and 3rd in big fish with a 15.55lb king!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty, dogsbestfriend

2022 Coho Cabin Fever Tournament - April 9 Apr 11, 2022 11:10 pm #33955

• edac
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 15
Arrived late, pulle away from the ramp at 5:50. Could see the captians meeting, headed to the lake. Enjoyed watching the floatilla of boats following us out.
Started out with my 20 year old Abu Garcia and let out about 50 yards of line only to find out it wouldn't reel back in. Hand linded it back and grabbed another rod. Went east of the ditch and hooked up with one pulling drag. Unfortunately the rod was still rigged with an 8 lb test leader from walleye fishing last week. Lost the fish and my only thinfin on board. Had a few more swipes at lure over the course of the beautiful morning, but ended up with the skunk.
But I do have a bloody cooler shot from last week.
1850 Lund Grand Tyee

This message has an attachment image.

2022 Coho Cabin Fever Tournament - April 9 Apr 12, 2022 3:49 am #33957

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1385
Thanks for the write ups!  Just wondering what most of the non-coho entries were in the big fish part of the tourney. I see Kick-R Joe managed a king!  Good going. 

2022 Coho Cabin Fever Tournament - April 9 Apr 12, 2022 3:58 am #33958

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1385
Tough luck on the Abu Reel.  I've got a quartet of them I bought back in the 1980s and they are still all going strong!  The good news is parts are available and most reel repair places (or yourself) can get it crankin' again.  

2022 Coho Cabin Fever Tournament - April 9 Apr 12, 2022 8:58 am #33962

• Tmik34
  • Thank you received: 1091
Mike,

I was weighing the coolers with Steve. 1 7lbs brown 4 kings 16.5-13.5lbs and a couple lakers were the big fish. 1 7lb coho too.
-Lady M- Sea Ray 290 Amberjack

2022 Coho Cabin Fever Tournament - April 9 Apr 12, 2022 9:00 am #33963

• StormJunkie
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 194
This is the second year we fished the Coho Cabin Fever Tournament out of Michigan City.  Jeff runs a well organized tournament with a nine rod limit leveling the playing field for any size boat. The fishing is good nearshore and the weather monitored for safe conditions.  
Our strategy this year was to mostly target kings running 3 downriggers and 2 dipsies while only running 4 flatlines, We fished the weekend before the tournament and had 2 kings hooked up and landed one over 17lbs. so we thought our chances would be better targeting big fish for the big fish award and we could use the Ninja Board.  We ran spoons on the downriggers and one dipsy and a meat rig on the second.  2 orange/gold Thinfins and fire tiger scatter raps on the flatlines.  All in all we boated 2 kings 19 coho and 1 Lake Trout.  Our Coho total placed us in 9th place and our kings were almost twins with the largest weighing 16.40 lbs. just barely enough to win big fish. The largest king taken on a meat rig over 33' of water in front of Michigan City. The second fish hit a spoon in 35' while fighting the first.  Sorry we didn't take any pictures but I have one from the weekend prior when we had at least one of all five species..

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty, dogsbestfriend

2022 Coho Cabin Fever Tournament - April 9 Apr 12, 2022 9:02 am #33964

• Tmik34
  • Thank you received: 1091
Good job with all the reports guys. Thank you.
-Lady M- Sea Ray 290 Amberjack

2022 Coho Cabin Fever Tournament - April 9 Apr 12, 2022 6:08 pm #33975

• Dirty
  • Dirty's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1679
I greatly appreciate all the kind words and everyone reporting.  I guess in the grand scheme, the reason why I put on this tournament, and contribute effort to tournaments in general is to bring people together.  Its fun to compete, but even better to meet people and make life long friendships, that is truly what its all about.  Life is short guys, lets make the most of it.  I look forward to seeing many of you throughout the next month of the core tournament season, and for many others, next year.  Thanks for participating. I hope you all had a great time.  If anyone thinks of any ways to make the event better, please contact me and let me know your ideas.  We can always be better.
Boatless!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul_L, Deadeer

Last edit: by Dirty.

2022 Coho Cabin Fever Tournament - April 9 Apr 14, 2022 9:13 pm #34010

• Bondo007
  • Thank you received: 50
My delayed report. Yes it was a well ran show. And thanks all who organized.
Our first Lake Michigan Tournament and our third tournament overall.
My Wife and I fished Friday out of East Chicago and trolled the wall starting at 6:30 done by 11. Thin fish program took all the fish. Went 11 for 18 with one break off. Other misses were drive by's.
Good quality of fish. Unfortunately we didn't get the same quality on Sunday.
Did not fish Saturday as we docked the boat at Sammie Maletta and the winds where ugly.
So Sunday we went to the same waters and went 8 for 8 all Thin fish except 1 on a dodger/fly.  Stopped at the entrance of Burns Waterway for our final slide and picked #9 witch
was our biggest coho for the weekend at 4.20lbs.
Thanks again