• Page:

TOPIC:

Salmon-A-Rama Feb 03, 2016 7:18 pm #4739

• Dirty
  • Dirty's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1683
The have just added MI City as a port. This is from their facebook page. I cannot find it official on their site yet:

We have just finalized a new weigh-in port for Salmon-A-Rama. This event is now accessible for participants in every State that surrounds Lake Michigan. We hare happy to add Michigan City, Indiana as an official weigh-in site. The weigh-in will be located at Washington Park so we welcome you aboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.salmon-a-rama.com/
Boatless!
The following user(s) said Thank You: dogsbestfriend

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Salmon-A-Rama Feb 03, 2016 8:23 pm #4743

• dogsbestfriend
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 537
It's official, just need to sort out weigh-in location, times in the coming months.

Also, Coho Club added another event (Caution: for laker lovers), here are the basics from the 1-29-16 News-Dispatch... ...

The Hoosier Coho Club is offering a unique "30-for-30" lake trout contest — $3,030.30 for a 30-pound lake trout.
"Its time to embrace these trout," club president Craig Koepke said. "They're big, they're native and they are what we fish for."
Lake trout thrived here long before the invasive species/industrial upheaval of the last century and appear better suited than relative newcomers like salmon and steelhead in an increasingly sterile Lake Michigan ecosystem.
They are the renaissance fish.
"I know just about everybody prefers silver fish (steelhead and salmon)," Koepke said. "But after last year, a new reality might be setting in."
In 2015, "silver" fish became scarce around Michigan City. Lakers, on the other hand, were down-right dependable. And, while lacking the fighting zip and zing of silvers, lake trout are the biggest and, perhaps, most beautiful fish out there.
Do not get the idea the club, or anyone else, is throwing in the towel on salmon and steelhead. The catching should remain great at times, just not as reliable as in the past.
A Hoosier Coho Club resolution sums this event well: "whereas the biggest salmonid in Lake Michigan in 2016, and the foreseeable future, likely will be lake trout; whereas these impressive trout often do not receive due respect; whereas a club purpose is to encourage anglers to fish more and fish more often; whereas there should be a new and enticing event for our membership; whereas the conquering angler shall be honored as a first and be duly rewarded: the Hoosier Coho Club Board of Directors present '30-for-30' Lake trout — $3,030.30 for the first Hoosier Coho Club member registering a 30-pound lake trout."
The contest runs April 30 through October 30, or until the first 30-pound, or larger, lake trout is recorded. To be eligible, anglers must be a 2016 Hoosier Coho Club member ($20 annual dues) or passenger aboard a boat which has a Hoosier Coho Club member as a captain and this captain has paid a $100 fee to include all non-club passengers as eligible for duration of contest.
Complete rules and forms will be at www.hoosiercohoclub.org, although the club's website is under reconstruction this week.
How about the chances of catching a 30-pound laker?
The typical lake trout goes six to 10 pounds. Brutes in the mid-teens are caught every week. Beasts of 20 or more show up every month.
Beyond 25, catches dwindle. As far as I can find, barely a handful of 25-plus lakers were caught in southern Lake Michigan in 2015, which was way up from previous years, partly because trollers targeted lake trout more often and partly because they're simply growing older.
Last year's top trout included a 26.2 caught aboard Originator (St. Joseph, Mich.), 27-9 Holly Lynn (Michigan City), 28.6 Saluki's Pride (Chicago), 28.6 Boatre Dame (Michigan City) and 31.6 Kingfisher (Chicago).
Bottom line is a 30-pounder is a elusive, albeit glorious goal.. And it will be worth $3,030.30 in 2016.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty

Salmon-A-Rama Feb 04, 2016 9:50 am #4752

• TeamITO
  • Thank you received: 23
Great article and I think this is going to be fun this year. Here is the 28.6 lb laker that was caught on Boatre Dame....
President Hoosier Coho Club
Pro Staff Kishel scents

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: dogsbestfriend

Salmon-A-Rama Feb 04, 2016 4:47 pm #4757

• Baron2150
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 313
Nice fish Craig, absolute pig! That's what we need for the Powder Puff next year. :ohmy:

See you at one of the club meetings soon!

Craig
Team Rippin'Lips

Salmon-A-Rama Feb 04, 2016 5:30 pm #4758

• Dirty
  • Dirty's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1683
sexy :cheer:
Boatless!

Salmon-A-Rama Feb 04, 2016 6:27 pm #4760

• dogsbestfriend
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 537
To put the size of that T-Rex of a trout in perspective, keep in mind that is a pretty large man behind the fish and the girl...
The following user(s) said Thank You: TeamITO

Salmon-A-Rama Feb 04, 2016 7:51 pm #4761

• TeamITO
Here is a better pic to get the full size of the fish.

Craig hope to see u at a mtg soon...
Pro Staff Kishel scents

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Salmon-A-Rama Feb 04, 2016 8:09 pm #4762

• Baron2150
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yeah, that's a dinosaur!
Team Rippin'Lips
The following user(s) said Thank You: TeamITO

Salmon-A-Rama Feb 04, 2016 8:13 pm #4763

• Baron2150
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
How was the fight with that one? I ask because I caught a 19lb trout last summer on a wire diver meat rig and at first I thought I had the king of a life time. Set at 200 and after the first run had 380' of line out. Made a few good intermediate runs then went dead like a laker. I remember saying if all Trout fought that good people would target them daily. Some Lakers have an attitude!
Team Rippin'Lips

Salmon-A-Rama Feb 05, 2016 8:15 am #4764

• TeamITO
The fight was pretty good. It made 2 long runs and then turned into a normal laker fight. I thought it was a king at first. Came on a wire diver 225 back and hit a trash can with a pink ito trout candy. It took 19 min from hit to the net.
Pro Staff Kishel scents

• Page: