Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Increasing stocking Oct 08, 2019 5:58 pm #25400

• Angry Pirate
  • Angry Pirate's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 488
I seen on Facebook Ben has officially announced and increase of king stocking along with some other changes with coho and steelhead. Looking for some discussion on what people like and dislike about it. I like stocking spring yearlings for coho I know overal number will be lower but at this time he has not given any numbers yet. I would like to see these fish planted just after dark which I think will keep the birds at bay. I think net pens could be a success in harbor stocking.
It's better to ask forgiveness than for permission.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split, Paul_L

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Increasing stocking Oct 08, 2019 6:26 pm #25401

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1679
I personally think it is all a step in the right direction. Especially kings and cohos.

Now what I want to see, is Indiana get a higher number of Kings. We dont naturally reproduce here - the numbers should be higher than the per state water ratio - In my opinion. The return needs to greatly improve to be worthwhile. The eco system also needs balance, and then you have multi state politics on top of it. Tough but doable.

Hats off to Ben - continue to fight for what makes sense and is right.
Boatless!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split, Paul_L

Increasing stocking Oct 09, 2019 2:12 pm #25407

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1376
I've seen the news release and traded a couple messages with Ben. There will be some public meetings somewhere here on the South End in the winter - at least that's the current plan. I'm sure the whens and wheres will be announced once things start to gel. Looking forward to this all moving forward.

Increasing stocking Oct 09, 2019 7:29 pm #25408

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1679
We are pushing for early November if schedules can work out for all sides. Keep your calendars open!
Boatless!

Increasing stocking Oct 11, 2019 10:57 am #25412

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1721
Time to put your thinking caps on and write down your questions you would like answered. Everyone that purchases a fishing license and a trout/salmon stamp makes you a stakeholder. If your interested in your fishery and have questions,,,,, then you should make plans to make this meeting. All summer you may have been questioning certain items connected to the fishery, now is your time to write them down and bring them forward. Doesn't matter if your a stream fishermen or a high dollar boat owner, we all are part of this fishery, so we all have a right to ask questions about it. If you care then please ask. I promise that there are no dumb questions. If your asking,,,,,,,,, that means you care!!!

Here as Indiana fishermen we are at times referred to as the little 1%. As it is true that Indiana only owns a very small section,,,,, doesn't mean as fishermen we are the 1%. We are a unique group of fishermen that help support the economies of 3 states. We put on mileage to catch silver fish. Doing so, we carry Indiana, Illinois, and Michigan license. At any one day we will be fishing in one the three states. At times we could be fishing all three states on the same day. I do not see anyone else out there doing what we do and helping to support 3 states economy. 1%???????? nope that title is gone. We are a Unique group of Lake Michigan fishermen.
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away
The following user(s) said Thank You: dogsbestfriend, Paul_L, Alumacraft FTW, StormJunkie

Last edit: by Lickety-Split.
  • Page: