Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

How do you feel?????????? Sep 13, 2015 8:42 pm #3407

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1683
The problem many anglers take issue with Lake Trout is that the charters know exactly where and how to go get them on a daily basis - the weekend warriors that your hoping to attract to the tournament may not have any idea because they either don't target them, or potentially not feel comfortable getting out there in a small craft depending on the weather. I have seen a number of guys say they will not fish the slam because of this unfortunately. They feel regardless of what they do, they cannot compete with those guys "so why bother trying".

I certainly see it both ways, but perhaps if the goal is to attract more anglers and create more strategy for everyone involved, then a Laker limit might be a good course of action.

I think you are definitely right about having to fine tune our laker skills moving forward. I know I am trying to do just that!

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Boatless!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How do you feel?????????? Sep 13, 2015 9:17 pm #3408

• Cruise
  • Thank you received: 7
I agree with Jeff. And to add to that everyone I know would rather eat kings and coho rather then laker. I really dont like seeing fish go to waist another reason i am pro onboard official weight and release instead of bag and weigh for bass tournaments. The tournament southend ran 2 weeks ago was perfect. Big fish could not be a laker and only one was allowed for your 5 fish weigh in.. with the decline in kings and the overabundance in Lakers. I say it's fare. If you wanna mop up Lakers for charters or personal fun go right ahead. Just my opinion. ..

How do you feel?????????? Sep 13, 2015 9:28 pm #3409

• Baron2150
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 313
i understand and having. 22' boat I know there are days I have an advantage (speed / efficiency) and days the larger boats have the advantage. Typically good Laker fishing can be had in 90 - 110 FOW and you need to have the necessary safety equipment to venture out there. Kings tend to weigh more than Lakers. Smaller boats have the option to bang the Kings nearshore while the larger boats run offshore for the less dense (but almost guaranteed) lakers. Didn't a small boat win this thing a couple of years ago with kings around the ditch? I like this tourney becAuse of this. I would actually do both. Fish the pier head early then pull and get some grease to finish out my 5. That is if in need to.
Team Rippin'Lips

How do you feel?????????? Sep 13, 2015 9:29 pm #3410

• Cruise
  • Thank you received: 7
And I apologize for my spelling and grammar... if it wasn't for auto correct you probably wouldn't have a clue what I saying lol...

How do you feel?????????? Sep 13, 2015 9:32 pm #3411

• Baron2150
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
no worries. I have the same problem. I'm sticking to that!
Team Rippin'Lips
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cruise

How do you feel?????????? Sep 13, 2015 10:06 pm #3412

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
yup - a small boat did win it a few years ago with kings around the ditch! That was awesome, however, it is more or less sheer coincidence if Kings are near shore hot and heavy during the tournament. Else you have coho's, steelhead etc.

I think this is a great debate and should be discussed thoroughly.
Boatless!

How do you feel?????????? Sep 14, 2015 6:04 am #3413

• Lickety-Split
  • Lickety-Split's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1740
Would members of this board be ok with a fall contest that was a king only contest? Yes, I know not many kings around this year. But I'm thinking on the side of small boat owners. They are limited and I think would like a fair chance at a head to head so to say contest. Everyone would have to fish the same conditions. In close fishing for fall returners. So at that point all boaters have the same oppertunity. No lake trout for this one strictly kings only.

I know that Dirty and other moderators want to have some more contest next year. Each one can have its own detail for that contest. Need to hear from some of the others on what they liked and what they didn't like. Lastly what would you add if you could.
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kickr

How do you feel?????????? Sep 14, 2015 6:23 am #3414

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
I seem to remember a tourney called the "Ditch Boys" run out of Lefty's which was kings only. How about a July/August that's lakers only? The steelheaders run one that's steel only....

I attended a couple of derbies in Canada where all the trout and salmon caught went to local food banks. The Shriner's tournament in Michigan City donated all the salmon to the Shriner's Hospitals.

One would think donating these fish to places such as this would help elevate the local awareness of our fisheries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split

How do you feel?????????? Sep 14, 2015 7:30 am #3418

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I like all of these ideas. Kings only, Lakers only. Lakers can have an offhshore tourn in summer, but what about one in November where they can be jigged / trolled near shore? I know most slipped boats are already in but trailer guys might be down for it.

Overall, what about instead of single species only tournament, what if that species carries a multiplier in points? Similar to what we did with the Steel Tourney? This then brings the focus to that species, but allows for more fish brought to the weigh in and perhaps more interest from potential competitors in the tournament field.
Boatless!

How do you feel?????????? Sep 14, 2015 8:55 am #3420

• Baron2150
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I like the idea of a King only tournament IF there are some Kings around. It is such s crap shoot now that if one guy catches one King they may just win. If none are in the area it will be a long day for all of the participants. The weighted point scale might be a way to keep the participants from chasing Trout. Still allow trout at 10 pts with Kings getting 30 and Coho and Steel 20 plus 1 pt per pound. Something like that may work but it may not change anything if Silver fish are biting in 200 FOW beyond where most small boats are willing to venture.
Team Rippin'Lips