Great Lakes Salmon Initiative Sign The Petition Dec 13, 2022 5:30 am #36123

• Lickety-Split
  • Lickety-Split's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1721

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This is an urgent call to action against commercial gill netting.  We received the request below from the Coalition to Protect Michigan Resources.   Please send any feedback you have on objections to expanding commercial gill netting in the Treaty of 1836 waters by this Wednesday night.  We are compiling objections to file in court.  Please also sign this petition (below) against commercial gill netting today,  we are trying to collect as many signature this week before the next court date December 16th on the new proposed consent decree.  Please encourage your family and friends to sign this petition.  Also included at the bottom is a link to the full proposed decree, it is a long read.  Here is the message from CPRM:

We have seen this proposal. Please start to review the proposal in detail. I ask that you each provide detailed objections to the expansion of gill net commercial fishing in your area to me. The CPMR lawyers intend to use your comments and objections in our oral arguments in court when we are allowed. Our chance for oral arguments may happen this Friday on December 16th, 2022 at the Kalamazoo Federal Court.
I look forward to your response.

We also have a online petition through Change.Org  you can find it here, Please sign it:

chng.it/CRbQjgGrRD

Link to the proposed decree. 
acrobat.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn:aa...fe-a82c-50dd3f3696c2

Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away
The following user(s) said Thank You: reel fun, StormJunkie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Great Lakes Salmon Initiative Sign The Petition Dec 13, 2022 7:28 am #36124

• StormJunkie
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 194
Petition signed.  Given our history of broken promises, dealing with American Indians can be difficult. I think we all know how lethal gill nets are and the mortality rate of by catch will be off the charts. I remember the days of having to fish around perch gill nets in Indiana and it sucks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split, Pikesmith

Great Lakes Salmon Initiative Sign The Petition Dec 14, 2022 9:46 am #36125

• go4bigfish
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 422
Petition signed and shared. It is sad that the state of Michigan has again chosen the wants not needs of the few over the many. If the Indians were still fishing with the methods used when the treaty was signed I may feel different. I remember trying to dodge nets when fishing in Ludington. The number of unmarked nets were staggering, and the havoc that ensues when you troll into one with a set down is unsafe and costly.
That being said, don't several other states also have a say about this? This will hinder fishing throughout the lake, especially with the King fishery dependent on the natural reproduction that has been occurring in the northern regions of the lake.
I weep for the future of our fishery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split

Great Lakes Salmon Initiative Sign The Petition Dec 17, 2022 2:25 pm #36135

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
go4bigfish thanks for signing and sharing. The picture shows the dark purple area as the section being discussed. This is the section for the 1836 treaty. As you can see this is a Michigan treaty

It is very concerning that once more gill net will be used. All the hard work that has gone in for fish such as Sturgeon is once more being jeopardized.

The real problem for the tribes as well as recreational fishermen are the quagga mussles. I don't see were going to gill net to catch the amount of Whitefish they need will be corrected by using gill net.

Other items of concern is what will they do with the extra amount of walleye and other fish. If there is a daily quota does that mean they will be throwing dead fish back?
Lickety-Split

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by Lickety-Split.

Great Lakes Salmon Initiative Sign The Petition Dec 20, 2022 6:35 am #36138

• reel fun
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 202
Here is a youtube video from captain chucks and reel to reel outdoors last night that discusses the decree with the DNR representative in the negotiations. Tons of info here if you have the time and
want to learn more about things. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty, bob, Lickety-Split, Ltrain, StormJunkie

Great Lakes Salmon Initiative Sign The Petition Dec 23, 2022 8:34 am #36146

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Lickety-Split

The following user(s) said Thank You: reel fun, Pikesmith, Ltrain, StormJunkie

Last edit: by Lickety-Split.
  • Page: