TOPIC:

Willow Slough lake renovation meeting Jul 30, 2019 8:08 am #24795

• MC_angler
  • MC_angler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1270
Hey folks, there's a public meeting scheduled to talk about the plans for renovating Willow Slough - draw down, kill invasive fish, increase waterfowl habitat, get the fishery going again afterward, etc.

Willow Slough is just as much an important fishery as it is a waterfowl hunting place, so if you care about the fishery, make sure your voice is heard during the process. Meeting is August 21st at 6 PM - see link for details

www.in.gov/activecalendar_dnr/EventList....information_id=59404
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sundevil, Wallin, Wildkat Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Willow Slough lake renovation meeting Jul 30, 2019 2:39 pm #24799

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1679
Thanks Ben for sharing.

I sure wouldnt mind going if the timing works out. I grew up learning to fish on the slough. Me and my mom were renting boats back when I was 10 years old, dragging along a tiny minn kota and a battery. However, I grew very frustrated with what seems like 2-3 times since I was a kid this has happened - drain, kill, do some small things, rinse and repeat. Each time waiting 4-5 years for it to rebound nicely. Every time it has - but it seems this is a constant battle that has ultimately made me quit fishing there. Whats the deal? Can you explain in more detail of what the exact battle is? Can it be fixed for good or is this something that is going to have to be done on a regular basis?
Boatless!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stag

Willow Slough lake renovation meeting Jul 30, 2019 4:38 pm #24800

• MC_angler
  • MC_angler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1270
I'm not the best guy to ask since it's not my jurisdiction and I'm not a wildlife guy either, but marsh drawdowns are frequently used to improve waterfowl habitat, which is what the Slough was originally supposed to be managed for primarily. So the draining of the lake really helps the bird habitat

But, the other ongoing issue with many reservoirs like this are invasive species such as carp and shad. They proliferate over time, and eventually impact the fishery. If the lake is getting drawn down for waterfowl habitat, it's an ideal time to start from scratch in terms of the fishery. Eliminate all the invasives and restock with the fish you want. Elimination of the invasive fish, coupled with the addition of tons of nutrients put back in the system by the drawdown and growth of beneficial habitat, and you get insane fish growth so the lake rebounds to glory quickly, rather than the slow downward spiral it was on before

There's not really a final solution in terms of the invasives - or managing it for waterfowl. Pretty much an ongoing thing that occurs every decade or two
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty

Willow Slough lake renovation meeting Aug 01, 2019 4:47 pm #24810

• Start Paddling
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 293
From what the description says, it just seems like a typical drawdown, unlike Lasalle which permanently changed it's water management plan. Being a very regular waterfowler at the Slough, this is bittersweet news. I'd dread hunting anywhere else for a few years, but at the same time the marsh desperately needs more vegetation. Blinds that were once surrounded by cattails are now just stakes sitting tabletop, and the drawdown should fix that. I have a feeling they'll be taking some action on the phragmites as well. All in all this is well overdue and I trust that Mike knows what he's doing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fish head

Willow Slough lake renovation meeting Aug 29, 2019 8:24 am #25082

• Wildkat Tim
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 277
So how did the meeting go? When is the plug getting pulled? No one has posted any info from the meeting. I guess I should have went to the meeting.

Willow Slough lake renovation meeting Sep 01, 2019 6:25 pm #25113

• BruceB0727
  • Thank you received: 15
The following user(s) said Thank You: TAKIN IT EZ, dogsbestfriend, Sundevil

Willow Slough lake renovation meeting Sep 03, 2019 9:09 am #25135

• Wildkat Tim
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 277
Thanks

• Page: