• Page:

TOPIC:

Mixed Bag May 03, 2017 8:32 am #13787

• southshore
  • southshore's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 471
Guess since Smallies have been the main target, I'll post here. Past 10 days or so have been a mixed bag of weather, work, and fishing for me. It seems like the only thing consistent has been high winds, so I havent had much interest in getting the boat out on the big lake. Last Monday it was 80 degrees and the wind was pushing 30 out of the south. I took a trip over towards Wilmington and fished a strip pit for gills and had an absolute blast tossing mini mites on ultralights, only excuse for no pics was I was having too much fun. I tried taking some pics after I got home of the fish I kept, but they really get ugly on ice and they were just so darn pretty alive. 4lbs of filets in the freezer sure looks good though...

Next couple of days I got back out on the lakefront looking for the smallies. The jerkbait bite was pretty much shut down, thinking the increase in temps had them getting into spawning mode. Still managed to find some nice fish in the transition areas though and got them to hit some plastics, tubes and small skirted jigs with drop shot baits.
I kept trying the jerkbaits in different area though, because its just so much fun. Found not 1 but 2 of theese guys on back to back casts. A first and quick second for me from Indiana water on the big Lake...

That first fish was actually pretty nice sized, Id guess around 6lbs and 28 inches. Second was a hammer handle.
I got lucky and it rained like crazy on my weekend to work, really took the pain out of 4 straight 13hr plus days at work.

Yesterday the rain held off mostly but the wind was howling again and it felt more like February than march. I fished a good 5 or 6 hours and only came up with 4 bites, all on jerkbaits. 1 was a beauty of a prespawn female smallie in the 3-4lb range. The second was a cookie cutter 14-15inch male. the 3rd wasn't a bass, but the biggest brown I've caught casting from shore in a couple years. I'd guess 10-12lbs but fought way bigger since he was hooked under the chin.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Pikesmith, Joco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mixed Bag May 03, 2017 8:45 am #13788

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1679
Sounds like you have found some good action. Better than I can say. I am ready to wet some lines!
Boatless!

Mixed Bag May 03, 2017 3:28 pm #13792

• SafeCracker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 94
Nice work.

With the forecasted winds I may need to hit the bank again, might be the only fishing we can get in.
Greg ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :woohoo:

Mixed Bag May 03, 2017 4:57 pm #13795

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1679

Nice work.

With the forecasted winds I may need to hit the bank again, might be the only fishing we can get in.

Til June of course.........
Boatless!

Mixed Bag May 04, 2017 7:33 am #13797

• EAGLE EYE
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 248
Them pits can be very productive!!!!

• Page: