TOPIC:

Ontario Walleye and Pike Aug 22, 2017 5:54 pm #16181

• Steelie Don
  • Steelie Don's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Thank you received: 515
I just got home from a trip into the Province of Ontario where I spent 6 days of fishing for walleyes and pike. It was my first fishing trip to Canada. I fished some during a caribou hunting trip some years ago. The weather was great with highs in the 70's and the lows in the 50's. No mosquitoes to ruin a trip either. There were eagles present along with a trophy bull moose that has me ready to wack a moose now. I even got within 20 yds of a rare woodland caribou cow and her calf. Of course my picture of the caribou is so blurry it is sickening. The bull caught me so off guard I forgot I had my phone in my pocket. A near 5 foot wide rack will make you forget to breathe much less try and take a photo.

The fishing was good, not easy you had to actually try to catch them. I thought they would be behind every rock in Lake Sessikanaga. The pike were abundant and overall not real big. I did have two on that were very long and quickly cut my 20 pond braid on the first run. The main target were the walleye and they were very good fish. Tasted very good also. We ate them 4 nights. We caught them trolling and by casting to them with mainly jigs and various crankbaits. My stud baits for the eyes where Rapala Taildancers in perch pattern and sizes TD 7 and 9. But my hammer was a Bayrat short deep mixed veggie chrome and a glow Esmerelda. My buddy Shane used a Clown #8 Bomber and a gold Johnson spoon with a chartruese worm trailer to catch most of his fish. They were scattered everywhere both shallow and in deep water. No pattern we could figure out.

Northwest Outfitters put on the trip. The camp was nice and comfortable. The boats were usable but a bit worn from constant use and abuse from the hidden rocks. 14 footers with 6 hp Yammi's. We bought a food package that they supplied the meals that we cooked. Some of it was very good and some of it like our bread was tossed after 2 days because of mold. They also forgot a tote that had some of our fresh veggies and fruits. Still we did not starve. They had a shower house with hot and cold water and battery lights. The cabin was nice considering where it is at. Beds were mattresses on plywood bunks. Okay also. Plenty of fuel to use and extra engines were there if needed. The cost is reasonable at about $1300 for the trip. I will go back if the group chooses to go to another camp the outfitter has on Lake Glitter. It has the pike and eyes along with a good smallmouth fishery. Here are some pics.
My Searunner 190, "Four "D's" and a "C". Retirement money well spent.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Steelie Don.

Ontario Walleye and Pike Aug 22, 2017 6:05 pm #16183

• Steelie Don
  • Away
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
Can a mod roll my sideways pics please?

Ontario Walleye and Pike Aug 22, 2017 6:55 pm #16186

• Angry Pirate
  • Thank you received: 488
That's better for the pics I'm still a little new at messing with others posts. Not sure how they ended above the text but it works. Looks like an awesome fun time Don. With some nice fish too.
It's better to ask forgiveness than for permission.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steelie Don

Ontario Walleye and Pike Aug 22, 2017 7:40 pm #16188

• Steelie Don
  • Away
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
There is still 4 pix that help. Thanks Bill for the help fixing things.

Ontario Walleye and Pike Aug 22, 2017 8:27 pm #16190

• Plane to Sea
  • Thank you received: 210
Thats awesome Don. Definitely looks like a mans cabin! Look and sounds like you had a great time. Bet you were exhausted?

Ontario Walleye and Pike Aug 22, 2017 8:45 pm #16193

• Steelie Don
  • Away
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
Amazing how a little boat will wear a guy out. It is in constant motion and I longed for my searunner. I left one detail out of the original post. The plane ride out was miserable. 30 plus mph winds was a problem for the Otter at takeoff. We got 25 or so feet up and hit a strong pocket of wind or a down draft and the plane went back down into the water like it was dropped. I was then airsick. The pilot got the plane up again and then we bounced and rolled, yawed until we got above the clouds where the ride softened. Things are good until we made a circus landing between a set of power lines and a highway at the airport on Rainny Lake. Heck the water we touched down in had grass growing in it. I was very excited to be exiting the plane after that flight.

Ontario Walleye and Pike Aug 22, 2017 8:57 pm #16194

• Plane to Sea
  • Thank you received: 210
The memories!

Ontario Walleye and Pike Aug 22, 2017 8:58 pm #16195

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1742
Sounds like a good trip and alot of fun Don. I had to smile reading about your ride back. It is amazing what those planes can do. The last trip we made a few years back we had to run the tree tops all the way back as the fog was so thick. Pilot said"I know nobody else will be flying this low so we should be ok. OK?????? yea everyone else will be trying to climb thru the soup we will just fly under it. I hate rollercoasters.
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away

Last edit: by Lickety-Split.

Ontario Walleye and Pike Aug 22, 2017 9:17 pm #16196

• Steelie Don
  • Away
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
Sounds as if your flight was as awful as mine was, maybe worse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split

Ontario Walleye and Pike Aug 22, 2017 9:25 pm #16197

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1742
I started to get airsick. There was nothing to focus on and watching those tree tops sure didn't help. But those folks do that everyday up there. They are amazing. Had a pilot do a circle one time and pointed down to a small lake. there sat a small float plane all banged up. Story was the pilot had engine issues and that was the closes lake to put down on but piled it up on the rocks as the lake was that small. I'm thinking really didn't need to see that Mr. pilot.
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away

• Page: