Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lake Erie Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm #16706

• skope
  • skope's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 181
Lake Erie out of Huron is hot right now for walleye. Fished earlier this week- monday thru wednesday in 44' out of Huron river - east toward cranberry creek area. 5-7 miles off shore. All fish taken on "deep" bandits in several colors including : IB frozen, wonderbread, and firetiger as the best combinations. Used 2 and 3 oz. snap weights behind Offshore boards with flags. Let out 40' of line clip on weight and let out additional 50, 70, 90, 110'. Best bite was in the morning but had steady action throughout the day. 12 fish limit for 2 guys for all 3 days. Most fish were 17-24" fish, with 1 fish Ohio that went 29". Also had about 6-8 shorts that were released each day, along with numerous white bass, etc.... Get out there now if you can, but it will only get better as the water cools off. Great perch action is also being reported more west towards Cedar Point and the Islands. Hope to get out several more times before the year end when the larger fish start showing up in numbers. Only started fishing Erie since 2015, but that place is a fish factory. Fish-on! Nick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split, Pikesmith, Wallin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lake Erie Sep 30, 2017 5:10 pm #16707

• Dirty
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1683
Nice work and thanks for the report. Sounds like a heck of a time!
Boatless!

Lake Erie Sep 30, 2017 5:15 pm #16708

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1742
Thanks for the heads up on Huron Ohio. We fish out of there a little later in the fall. But, reading your report we just might have to make an earlier trip. Thanks for the information, it is very helpful. Sound like you folks had a great couple of days. Thanks again.
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away

Lake Erie Sep 30, 2017 6:47 pm #16709

• Baron2150
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 313
Where do you guys stay at Huron and how is the launch ramp? Is there a fish cleaning facility? I may be going next weekend weather depending.
Team Rippin'Lips

Lake Erie Sep 30, 2017 7:02 pm #16710

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1742
Craig there are a few motels right close to the ramp at Huron. The city ramp- we never had to pay but not sure if that was because we were later in the fall when there. They have a great ramp facility, at least 6 ramps.Ramps are approx 2/3rd of a mile from the lake. Another spot to put in is craneberry creek. They are just a little east of huron. They were closed last fall due to bridge work right at there spot.You might give them a call, they are usually good at letting you know were the fish are and have a good selection of cranks. They are right on the water. We do alot of evening and after dark fishing there. Just a little further east is Vermillion. All of that area will produce.
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away

Lake Erie Sep 30, 2017 9:25 pm #16711

• skope
Baron2150 we stayed at the Comfort Inn Rivers Edge right across from the public boat ramp about 1/4 mile up the river. Hotel was more than adequate and included continental breakfast. I will definitely stay there again. We used to stay near Catawba at Holiday Inn Express or the Country Inn Suites when fishing earlier in the season to fish for perch after hitting the walleye, but decided to give Huron a try. Catawba is about 18 miles west of Port Huron. I agree with Lickety-Split, the ramp facility is very good and there is no charge to launch. Probably enough parking for 150 boats or more. One problem is finding a fish cleaning facility. There are many fish cleaning companies in the the area, but no fish cleaning houses for public use that I have found yet close to Catawba or the Huron area. If anyone knows of one - please answer back. I clean my catch off the back tailgate of my pickup at the end of the day and that turns out pretty good. Make sure you stop in the Harbor House bar and grill right next to Comfort Inn if you stay there - excellent food that is made to order. Prices are very reasonable for both the hotel and restaurant(s) in the area.

Lake Erie Sep 30, 2017 10:14 pm #16712

• skope
I'm trying to post some pic's of this past weeks Erie trip. Hope this works!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Baron2150, Lickety-Split, Pikesmith

Lake Erie Oct 01, 2017 9:31 am #16718

• Baron2150
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 313
Is the Perch fishing good there now as well or is it better further West?
Team Rippin'Lips

Lake Erie Oct 01, 2017 5:23 pm #16723

• skope
Its much better now west towards kellys island and between rattlesnake and green islands. We fished for perch for a bit after the walleye limits were filled, but the perch in that area were very slow.

Lake Erie Oct 06, 2017 3:06 pm #16756

• Bull
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 80
Congratulations!

• Page: