Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Public Lands Dec 03, 2020 9:38 pm #29395

• old school
  • old school's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 9
Anyone of an opinion or advice for.a new hunter considering some of the public land? Ie Jasper Pulaski, Kankakee, etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Public Lands Dec 04, 2020 5:38 am #29396

• BNature
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
What are you planning to hunt? Deer?
There are deer on all of those properties. i was one of the biologists at Willow Slough for 35 years and bagged plenty of WS deer and knew plenty of guys who were consistently successful year after year.
Four quick tips.
1) Don't follow the crowds. On each property there are hunting units which post a larger harvest than others. Usually, hunters gravitate to them so more deer, more hunters - but a lower harvest per effort. I know at WS there were deer in every hunting unit. I normally hunted the "least popular" units. There may have been only a half dozen deer killed in a unit, but there may only have been a half dozen of us spending much time there.
2) My most consistently successful guys hunted all day or at least longer than most. Many hunters put in a few hours in the AM and a couple more just before dark. If you need a midday break, make it from about 11 AM to 1 PM.
3) Don't "unit" jump. Learn one thoroughly. Better to be in the right spot where only a couple deer frequent, than in the wrong spot where there's a herd.
4) Rely on your head as much as your gear. If you always play the wind, you don't need charcoal activated clothes. If you can shoot an old gun accurately you are better off than being out there with a $1000 scope you are unfamiliar with using.

Last edit: by BNature.

Public Lands Dec 04, 2020 8:39 am #29397

• old school
  • old school's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 9
Thanks man, I appreciate it!

Public Lands Dec 10, 2020 7:43 pm #29416

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Thank you received: 509
I hunt State ground down in the south end of Indiana. Of course I have no insight on northern properties but I have found down here that property ran by fish and wildlife were poor hunting because of over use and surrounded by way to much private property. It is really tough just to see deer during daylight hours much less kill one. During the general only bucks can be taken also.
A better option is to find dept of forestry properties to hunt. Usually fewer hunters and the properties are smaller and easier to learn . The other plus for me is that during the general does can taken along with bucks to up your chance for a harvest. Research the DNR website and div of forestry to find any places up there in your area. Good luck hunting.
My Searunner 190, "Four "D's" and a "C". Retirement money well spent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: old school

Public Lands Dec 10, 2020 8:33 pm #29417

• Wallin
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 266
Hunted most of the Public propertys in NW IN, Started back when you had to be there early to get in the drawing where guys were parking there vehicles in line the night before after they hunted that day (Kingsbury) shot my first buck there. Moved to WS after that, to much pressure on the weekends, went to JP and took deer there, not as many deer but if you do your home work and scouting you'll enjoy the hunt. Enjoy your hunt and you will find your deer. Good luck.
Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: old school

• Page: