• Page:

TOPIC:

Trip North Jan 26, 2018 1:13 pm #17395

• netminder34
  • netminder34's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 104
Took a trip north last weekend for some work on the cabin and ice fishing, ok mostly Ice fishing. Had 6-8" most of the places we fished which was good clear ice. Fished smelt in the PM and used them for bait during the AM. Smelt bite was off but did manage enough for bait and a meal. Here are a few Pics and these are inland lakers very different from the lakers caught around here.
Jeff
17' Smokercraft "Kings Ransom 2.0"

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Plane to Sea, Hooked

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trip North Jan 26, 2018 2:37 pm #17397

• Lickety-Split
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1740
Looks like a nice trip Jeff. Let me know when I can pick up my smelt,lol. Do those lakers have flesh that are the same color as our fish?
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away

Trip North Jan 26, 2018 5:56 pm #17400

• netminder34
  • netminder34's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 104
Yeah Ed there are two strains and are the same as the big lake. A 17.5 lb fish has been brought through the ice this season and have had some 20+lb fish in past years. They are a nicer, cleaner fish with out the big lake chemical exposure and don't seem to have the fat like the big lake. Those fish are between 4 and 9 lbs and are very tasty. Caught some on tip up and smelt and a couple jigging. The lake gets 200ft deep and is a good fishery in the winter to get away to. Smelt were off this trip and not many were caught but can usually get a couple hundred in a weekend and they average around 7-8in, Tough little guys to catch sometimes but very tasty too. You can only catch them with hook and line there, netting is against the law to keep a good population in the lake.
Jeff
17' Smokercraft "Kings Ransom 2.0"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split

• Page: