• Page:

TOPIC:

kickers can cause problems Sep 03, 2016 8:03 am #9372

• honda cat
  • honda cat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 222
i have been noticing some kinkers causing some serious and expensive problems with some guys boats recently
if your kickers charging system does not keep up with the loads requirements on the entire boat system the battery will begin to drain down as the battery voltage goes down the amperage usage by electronics goes way up as does the heat build up in these units can burn out
fish finder head units
auto pilot pumps
rigger motors
radar domes
main motor computers
main motor injectors

list goes on and on

WHAT TO DO??
ALMOST ALL FISH FINDERS HAVE LOW VOLTAGE ALARMS THAT CAN BE SET TO ALARM YOU WHEN YOU BATTERY VOLTAGE DROPS
SET YOUR FISH FINDER VOLTAGE ALARM TO 11.8 VOLTS IF BATTERY ALARM COMES ON START MAIN MOTOR UNTILL BATTERY VOLTAGE WITH MAIN MOTOR RUNNING GETS UP TO ABOUT 14.3 VOLTS

PAY ATTENTION TO BATTERY VOLTAGE CAN SAVE YOU SOME BIG BUCKS
CHOOSE THE KICKER WITH THE BIGGEST CHARGING OUT PUT YOU WILL NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH FOR TODAY BOATS AND BOAT ACCESSORIES
Frank Martin
USCG Captain - 50 Ton Master
Great Lakes Inland Waterways
Near shore Salt water
Towing assist
owner Calumet Marine .com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split, Birddogs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kickers can cause problems Sep 03, 2016 4:03 pm #9380

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1683
Good point Frank. On all my screens I have an overlay for the battery voltage just so I can keep an eye on it. Its a good idea for anyone to do this. never really thought about it creating too many issues, but it certainly could as you point out.
Boatless!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: