bring on the motor questions ! lets get ready for a early spring

frank
Frank Martin
USCG Captain - 50 Ton Master
Great Lakes Inland Waterways
Near shore Salt water
Towing assist
owner Calumet Marine .com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Where ar the motor questions ? Jan 27, 2017 8:56 pm #10913

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1683
ok game on. Rate your top 5 engines and why with detailed explanations. Would like to hear a comprehensive review. Mfg / Model / Stroke.

I dont think there are any truly unbiased views out there with details for guys to compare when they are looking for their next boat / motor.
Boatless!

Last edit: by Dirty.

Where ar the motor questions ? Jan 27, 2017 9:17 pm #10914

• honda cat
  • honda cat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 222

ok game on. Rate your top 5 engines and why with detailed explanations. Would like to hear a comprehensive review. Mfg / Model / Stroke.

I don't think there are any truly unbiased views out there with details for guys to compare when they are looking for their next boat / motor.

ok let me give it some thought on the detail part
this is a broad question we require a broad answer unless you would like it broke down into hp rame and past or current products stern drive or just out board ?
Frank Martin
Near shore Salt water
Towing assist

Where ar the motor questions ? Jan 27, 2017 9:45 pm #10915

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
lets go with current and outboard, and pick an hp class such as 150, 200 or 250 your choice. Just curious to hear the real core differences between the mfg's. I am sure others are as well.
Boatless!

Where ar the motor questions ? Jan 28, 2017 11:54 pm #10933

• honda cat
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
#>1 honda
light power full great on fuel the ultimate in reliability. originator of the 4 stoke out board Honda has never made a two stoke outboard
parts are reasonably priced cost of owning is low especially when considering the resale value
some times hard to find some one to work on them in certain areas
#>2 Evinrude has jumped to #2 spot With their release of the latest version of the direct injested two stoke the G-2
they have taken the proven reliable E-tec and made it a hole lot better more efficient cleaner exhaust and with features like integrated power steering and auto trim features a operator will not want to be with out and a evinrude exclusive not to mention the 10 year warranty promotion they are currently running earning the #2 spot
#3> Yamaha great reliability often the highest priced out board But because of the few lemons in their line up and there unproportionally priced replacement parts i rate them in #3place
#4 I would give Suzukit these are great motors probably the least expensive to buy but common parts are often hard to find or NLA from the factory in the mid west here we expect parts to be available for outboard much more than 10 years
#5 i will give to mercury out boards although they sell a lot of them they are affordable in initial price and very reliable when new they fall way short on the longevity category for a guy that's lucky enough to use them a lot their pro x motors are the best on the market for competition engines if this is a major concern for any one they would have to move them up in their personal ratings
#6 tohatsu makes a lot of small motors for a lot of different good motors companies i have concerns on parts availability when they get older a 10 hp still cost a good penny i hope to be able to supply parts for these owners but time will tell
personal experience of over 50 years with the marine industry i have to tell you this ratings will change as the industry changes its tough to keep up with these changes honda has pledged a bunch of new products these next few years time tell all the stories and will see how good my rating turn out to be

cjeck out this little video
www.facebook.com/CalumetMarineAndSports/...os/1503470206359915/
Frank Martin
Near shore Salt water
Towing assist
The following user(s) said Thank You: bob, Steelie Don, Lickety-Split

Last edit: by honda cat.

Where ar the motor questions ? Jan 29, 2017 8:26 am #10934

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Thanks for the write up Frank.
Boatless!

Where ar the motor questions ? Jan 29, 2017 10:55 am #10935

• Tmik34
  • Thank you received: 1122
Frank question for you. I hear tons of different opinions on warming up vs not waiting to warm it up to much before leaving dock. Whats your opinion on it?

Normal temp for mine is around 120 degrees. Ive always let it idle at dock till it warms up there.

Engine is a 454 mercruiser if it matters.
-Lady M- Sea Ray 290 Amberjack

Where ar the motor questions ? Jan 29, 2017 11:16 am #10936

• honda cat
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Frank question for you. I hear tons of different opinions on warming up vs not waiting to warm it up to much before leaving dock. Whats your opinion on it?

Normal temp for mine is around 120 degrees. Ive always let it idle at dock till it warms up there.

Engine is a 454 mercruiser if it matters.

gauge on dash only displays water temp at the top of the intake manifold although warm condition on gauge should be enough for the motor to run properly the temp of the whole engine takes a considerable longer time to stabilize
i recommend running motor on plane under load for the complete engine and oil to stabilize (especially with a big block) this will ensure proper lubrication of the upper valve train when you settle down and begin trolling
Frank Martin
Near shore Salt water
Towing assist
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tmik34

• Page: