• Page:

TOPIC:

Pro Toll... Is it worth the money?? Mar 07, 2017 8:27 pm #11906

• Jums
  • Jums's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 117
Anyone using these for their kickers? I was going to buy a new 9.9 4 stroke this year but funds just are not there so I robbed my older yamaha 15hp 2 stroke from my john boat. I've tighten up on the set screw on my tiller handle that controls the resistance in the throttle handle but here and there it will vibrate its self loose causing the motor to go to an idle and making me go back there to try and find the sweet spot on the throttle again. So 2 questions, has anyone used the Pro troll and is it as accurate as they say? Also, does anyone have suggestions on how to keep that set screw from coming loose. The motor really doesn't vibrate excessive to the point where that should come loose IMO.
Handle- "Firefly"
2009 Hewes Craft Sea Runner 200
2016 Alumacraft Competitor 175

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pro Toll... Is it worth the money?? Mar 07, 2017 8:37 pm #11910

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1683
Pro troll / Itroll/ Control King are all servo controlled, so it will never come loose or deviate. once set. Is it worth the money? debatable However if your having issues like you describe, then it may well be worth the money. They are not all that hard to install yourself. A couple beers and a few hours in the afternoon and you will have it done.
Boatless!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jums

Pro Toll... Is it worth the money?? Mar 08, 2017 7:25 am #11928

• honda cat
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 222

Anyone using these for their kickers? I was going to buy a new 9.9 4 stroke this year but funds just are not there so I robbed my older yamaha 15hp 2 stroke from my john boat. I've tighten up on the set screw on my tiller handle that controls the resistance in the throttle handle but here and there it will vibrate its self loose causing the motor to go to an idle and making me go back there to try and find the sweet spot on the throttle again. So 2 questions, has anyone used the Pro troll and is it as accurate as they say? Also, does anyone have suggestions on how to keep that set screw from coming loose. The motor really doesn't vibrate excessive to the point where that should come loose IMO.

don't think a pro troll will work on a two stoke
two stokes the servo cant move the timing on a 4 stoke it just has to open the carburetor

they are nice though 1-199 steps of control in half the throttle range they certainly work great on a 4 stroke
Frank Martin
USCG Captain - 50 Ton Master
Great Lakes Inland Waterways
Near shore Salt water
Towing assist
owner Calumet Marine .com

Pro Toll... Is it worth the money?? Mar 08, 2017 8:26 am #11935

• bob
  • Thank you received: 725
I use the Troll master on my kicker and i love it!!
Sea Ray 290 Amberjack
Kelliann 4

Pro Toll... Is it worth the money?? Mar 08, 2017 12:06 pm #11944

• EAGLE EYE
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 248
Hey jums I thought about doing the same thing to mine with a 15 horsepower kicker but thought about it not staying throttled so I kinda thought u. Could throw Velcro on the throttle handle and just Velcro it until you find the sweet spot just thought about it never actually did it maybe it's worth a try

Last edit: by EAGLE EYE. Reason: Weong wording

Pro Toll... Is it worth the money?? Mar 08, 2017 1:59 pm #11947

• Jums
  • Jums's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 117
Noah, that actually sounds like it might work. I'll def check it out and update you. Hopefully by fall I'll have a new suzuki 4 stroke 9.9 to avoid all this but until I just gotta deal with it.
Handle- "Firefly"
2009 Hewes Craft Sea Runner 200
2016 Alumacraft Competitor 175

Pro Toll... Is it worth the money?? Mar 08, 2017 8:44 pm #11948

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Thank you received: 509
I have pulled a similar trick with my 9.9 small motor. I used a rubber bungee wrapped around the throttle and secured to, in my case a screw eye, sunk into the back bench. Add an subtract wraps till you get the tension and position you need.
My Searunner 190, "Four "D's" and a "C". Retirement money well spent.

Pro Toll... Is it worth the money?? Mar 09, 2017 8:26 pm #11969

• BigEdV
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Winter Maintenance
  • Thank you received: 361
I bought the Troll Master 2 when I bought the kicker this year. I know a few people that run them and swear by them. Since I did not buy the remote throttle it was the way to be able to control the throttle from the drivers seat and I have a tie rod to the main motor for steering. Plus everyone I talk to said save the money on the remote power because I would end up buying a troll master eventually to fine tune in the speed. Time will tell.

As for the install - there are some YouTube videos that show how to install it and if you are slightly mechanically inclined it is pretty simple.

If you go to the troll master web site you can look up you motor and it will say if they have a model to work with your engine.
-Eddo-

2014 Alumacraft competitor 175 aka "The Geek Squad"

• Page: