Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Props Apr 09, 2017 5:43 pm #13034

• Mixalot
  • Mixalot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys, I am looking for some help. I noticed some damage to my propeller last weekend when I did my first of the year inspect. Can someone enlighten me with some info on where to get a replacement/repair? Unfortunately, I was told that this prop size is no longer available. 9.5x12.5. Early 90's Johnson 15...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Props Apr 09, 2017 5:56 pm #13035

• Jums
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 117
So this happened to me not to long ago. There use to be a prop shop in Cedar Lake but it's closed now. I believe there is still one in IL but they were more expensive than just buying a new one. Question is your prop SS or Aluminum. Whats the extent of the damage ( chipped, cracked, bent?) If it is simply bent you can buy pitch block and hammer it out yourself. Also, have you noticed any vibrations or anything like that? If not may be worth just not playing with. And one more thing if worse comes to worse you could always put a different sized prop on it by calling the manufacturer and asking them for recommended sizes.
Also, I have like 3 older johnsons laying in the garage let me check the size and maybe we can let go of one if they match up.
Handle- "Firefly"
2009 Hewes Craft Sea Runner 200
2016 Alumacraft Competitor 175

Props Apr 09, 2017 6:11 pm #13036

• Thundercat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 287
Try Ebay

Props Apr 09, 2017 7:33 pm #13042

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Thank you received: 509

Hey guys, I am looking for some help. I noticed some damage to my propeller last weekend when I did my first of the year inspect. Can someone enlighten me with some info on where to get a replacement/repair? Unfortunately, I was told that this prop size is no longer available. 9.5x12.5. Early 90's Johnson 15...

If you are looking to repair it I have used the Delaware prop repair in Muncie. They repair along with customizing props. Things like adding or removing cup, changing pitch, or hub work.
My Searunner 190, "Four "D's" and a "C". Retirement money well spent.

Props Apr 09, 2017 8:27 pm #13051

• honda cat
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 222

pretty sure I can still get that prop rite from the factory
rite next to the pitch and diameter numbers you listed should be a 6 digit part number I might even have that one in stock
if for some crazy reason it is true they don't make that prop any more I am sure I can get the equivalent in a aftermarket prop
these small hp motors most prop shops can not repair them for less than buying new
Frank Martin
USCG Captain - 50 Ton Master
Great Lakes Inland Waterways
Near shore Salt water
Towing assist
owner Calumet Marine .com

Props Apr 09, 2017 8:29 pm #13053

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1683

So this happened to me not to long ago. There use to be a prop shop in Cedar Lake but it's closed now. I believe there is still one in IL but they were more expensive than just buying a new one. Question is your prop SS or Aluminum. Whats the extent of the damage ( chipped, cracked, bent?) If it is simply bent you can buy pitch block and hammer it out yourself. Also, have you noticed any vibrations or anything like that? If not may be worth just not playing with. And one more thing if worse comes to worse you could always put a different sized prop on it by calling the manufacturer and asking them for recommended sizes.
Also, I have like 3 older johnsons laying in the garage let me check the size and maybe we can let go of one if they match up.

Ah the folks in Cedar Lake are closed? They had a shop at the Marina there - used them once way back, they did good work.

However, with that old of a boat/motor, I feel you would be better off just getting a new prop to be honest. Many aluminum props that would be affordable and probably better.
Boatless!

Props Apr 10, 2017 8:14 pm #13120

• Mixalot
I will have to check for the extra numerals on the prop but I don't think I saw any. It is an aluminum prop. Mostly dings and chips from running in the river. No bends tho I checked some websites and they either don't have any or the prop is categorized "obsolete"

Props Apr 10, 2017 8:56 pm #13121

• honda cat
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 222
number should be in the back under the prop nut or it may not be a factory original prop like I mentioned I am certain I can find a replacement for one supplier or another
Frank Martin
USCG Captain - 50 Ton Master
Great Lakes Inland Waterways
Near shore Salt water
Towing assist
owner Calumet Marine .com

Props Apr 11, 2017 8:55 am #13138

• Mixalot
Thanks Everyone. Honda Cat, I will be contacting you soon. Thanks.

• Page: