• Page:

TOPIC:

Starter problems Oct 10, 2017 5:40 pm #16779

• EAGLE EYE
  • EAGLE EYE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 248
My 90 Honda was giving me trouble starting so a friend of mine came over did a few test and on the last one he tapped on the starter and told me to turn the key and wala!!! She fired up so I called a marine shop and was told it was $$$650 for the new starter does anyone hear know of someone who rebuilds them? Would you guys recommend a rebuilt or or just getting a new one

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starter problems Oct 10, 2017 6:07 pm #16780

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Thank you received: 509
Starters are pretty easy to rebuild. Hard part is getting them out to work on them. Kits are available to rebuild them usually less than 50 bucks. Usually it is the brushes that get wore out. Sometimes bearings go bad also. Kits normally come with those also. Just be sure you get the right kit! Really not a lot to it.
My Searunner 190, "Four "D's" and a "C". Retirement money well spent.

Starter problems Oct 10, 2017 9:15 pm #16781

• honda cat
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 222
honda starters usually don't go out
there has to be a reason would hate to put a new one in and have it fail again
some investigation should preceed installing a known good used one or just bite the bullet and install new one
i have yet to find a good rebuilder for honda starters so far have regretted all attempts
i might have a good used one certainly can order new one have to have engine vin number to quote you a price
frank
calumet marine
Frank Martin
USCG Captain - 50 Ton Master
Great Lakes Inland Waterways
Near shore Salt water
Towing assist
owner Calumet Marine .com

Starter problems Oct 12, 2017 7:54 am #16785

• netminder34
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 104
I would agree with Frank that starters usually don't go out but, Brushes and Commutators do wear. Tapping it and Wala would indicate that is the case as there was a break in contact until the mechanical agitation occured. I used a shop in Valpo a few years back to rebuild a starter for the Crestliner I had at the time, cant remember the name right off. They did a great job and as I recall it was around 125 for the complete rebuild with an upgrade on some of the seals and internal wiring. Any starter and alternator shop should be able to perform a test and rebuild. There are a few around that you could likely find with a google search of your area. If it is just replacing the Brushes and Commutator cleaning that is not a tough job to do but finding the correct brushes can be tough sometimes.
Jeff
17' Smokercraft "Kings Ransom 2.0"

Starter problems Oct 13, 2017 6:17 am #16788

• EAGLE EYE
  • EAGLE EYE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 248
Thanks for all the input guys

Starter problems Oct 13, 2017 8:14 pm #16792

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1683
Never had an issue with a starter on an outboard but have done more autos than I can count. I have to imagine everything is fairly similar. How about the solenoid? If it is physically located at the starter then it may very well be that and replaceable?
Boatless!

• Page: