• Page:

TOPIC:

Electric Boat Winches Apr 10, 2018 8:02 pm #18759

• Steelie Don
  • Steelie Don's Avatar Topic Author
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Thank you received: 509
I am thinking of adding an electric winch to my trailer. The boat is not light I am thinking somewhere about 33 to 35 hundred pounds loaded. Does anyone have any input on brands and models and how much pull is really required to winch a boat that last couple feet if needed. Or would a good 2 speed manual be a better choice? The single speed winch on my trailmaster is a bother to use. Takes a lot of effort and I want to be able to do it solo if I have to.
My Searunner 190, "Four "D's" and a "C". Retirement money well spent.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Electric Boat Winches Apr 11, 2018 7:56 am #18761

• honda cat
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 222
Don boat winches are great when properly used installed and maintained

electrics require heavy wiring to winch and or aux battery mounted on trailer tongue for BEST performance

one tip about all electric winches THEY ALL WORK BETTER IF THE VEHICLE IS LEFT RUNNING FOR WINCHING and the roller winch block being used also add to their reliability and longevity

slick bunk covering can be added to bunks are a great addition at a minimal cost compared to a properly installed electric winch system

with a two speed winch of good quality and slick bunks you can great reduce effort with out spending the big money for a good electric winch system

I know quite a few people that have added electric winches and have been disappointed mostly for incomplete installation or poor application reasons

for most trailers rule of thumb is back them in until the trailer fenders are slightly under water or slightly above getting this rite for your trailer is the key to reducing loading effort and frustration every trailer will be a little different you have to find you sweet spot pay attention and get it there every time you get on a ramp
back in too deep it tough to get boat properly centered not enough and you have to apply more effort to get the boat winched up tight
Frank Martin
USCG Captain - 50 Ton Master
Great Lakes Inland Waterways
Near shore Salt water
Towing assist
owner Calumet Marine .com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steelie Don, Salmon shack 69

Electric Boat Winches Apr 11, 2018 8:29 am #18765

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
Ordinarily I don't have much issue loading this boat. All the other places I launch at I can power on the trailer very close.Or I can have someone drive it on and I can get out on the trailer and winch it on myself. When it is warm I will even wade out and winch it in. All my other boats were much smaller thus easier to deal with but this one is heavier and sits deeper in the water. Its physical mass is making it tough to winch up. From your posting maybe a good 2 speed manual would be a good choice. Do you have a idea on a brand and model?

Electric Boat Winches Apr 11, 2018 8:34 am #18766

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1740
Would agree with Honda Cat. I have a 2 speed crank winch on my searay Don. What a huge difference is ease and the amount of winch length pick up with the gearing being 2 speed.
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steelie Don

Electric Boat Winches Apr 11, 2018 11:39 am #18779

• netminder34
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 104
I have had a couple power winches on different boats and trailers I have had. Picked up a winch last spring for the 17ft smokercraft with a bunk sytem from Cabela's Bargain Cave for a great price. Most winches come with a wiring kit and as Frank said can be wired to your truck battery or a seperate battery in your truck bed or mounted to the trailer, I use a couple different vehicles to tow so I use the seperate battery. Had one on my 25ft when I had it, trailer was an easy loader roller trailer for 20+yrs. That one I replaced the cable once and it had an auto wrap system for the cable to keep it straight I needed to adjust once but no other issues. Are they needed, no but I get a lot of comments on how easy it looks to load my boat at the dock and as my dad once told me "work smarter not harder" so I let the technology do the work and I push the button and watch. My 2 cents, either way you go will be an improvement. My suggestion would be to look at how many times a year you load your boat. If you fish a lot and are loading and unloading several times a week I would go with power. A couple times a month, which would be most cost affective and how much do you hate to crank the boat on the trailer?
Jeff
17' Smokercraft "Kings Ransom 2.0"

Last edit: by netminder34.

Electric Boat Winches Apr 11, 2018 2:46 pm #18784

• Wallin
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 266
We also found that if you can safely back your boat in and get them bunks wet as you can then pull back up to your loading spot ( top of finders) it helps to load.
Just another opinion.
Tom

Electric Boat Winches Apr 11, 2018 6:41 pm #18801

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
The biggest issue is the Fulton winch I have is way to small. It is only a 1800# model at one or two wraps and only a 900# at a full drum which is where it is at right now. I would have to remove over half of the strap to get a decent power pull.

Electric Boat Winches Apr 13, 2018 6:30 am #18824

• MikeF
  • Thank you received: 2
I have used this model winch for the last 5 yrs on a 21 ft skeeter.
Slicker than snot on a door knob.
I replaced the cable with a 10,000 lb winch strap as I hate cable burr pricks on my hands.
I switched the leads in the winch for rotation direction as I needed the strap to pull from the top rather than the bottom.
Added a battery tender 100amp outlet in bow of boat for emergency loading in case of problem on truck side power.
Comes with an emergency Amish crank handle which I have not had to use yet.
Shoulder problems so cranking twice the revolutions at 1/2 the torque on a 2 spd offered no relief.
Boat loads well on a bunk trailer but that last 1-2 ft was a killer for me.
PM a number and I would be glad to talk if interested.

www.dutton-lainson.com/proddetail.php?prod=24870

Electric Boat Winches Apr 14, 2018 5:14 pm #18854

• DAYOFF
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 49
I have had an electric winch on the last 2 trailers, one roller and one bunk. The roller made it so easy, wow. The bunk works ok but a lot depends on how far you can get the boat "up" the trailer. Dragging a boat up a bunk is a strain on anything.

It is fun to watch the ramp owners with the big signs saying "NO POWERING ON" disappointed they cant complain at you.

In any case, I cant go back.

Both of mine were Powerwinch. The last has a wireless controller that is nice if you want to ride in the boat while winching. I always got the winch one size larger than listed to avoid the pulley at the hook for a double cable pull.

Yes, steel cables have burrs, be careful. It might be noisier than you expect.

Electric Boat Winches Apr 15, 2018 7:56 am #18859

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
From my research and speaking to others I am leaning now toward getting a 2 speed manual that is rated at 3200 pounds. I know it is a bit of overkill but costs play a part along with simplicity. Fulton makes several heavy duty models that have good warranties and are simple to install and will use the same bolt pattern already drilled in the trailer. They even have a 10,000 pound strap on these models. I think it should be a good match.

• Page: