Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Boat Repair 101 - Dielectric Grease Aug 08, 2018 11:13 am #20848

• LakeEffectServices
  • LakeEffectServices's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
True or False - Dielectric grease improves the connection between metal components in an ignition system.

FALSE!

Dielectric grease is an electrical insulator intended to prevent nonmetallic surfaces from high voltage arcing and to prevent non-metallic surfaces from bonding. It should be applied only to rubber or ceramic surfaces of connection points. Use sparingly to avoid getting di-electric grease on metallic terminals!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sundevil, Wallin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by LakeEffectServices.

Boat Repair 101 - Dielectric Grease Aug 09, 2018 7:42 am #20857

• EAGLE EYE
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 248
So what can u use for better connections on ur battery’s

Boat Repair 101 - Dielectric Grease Aug 09, 2018 11:17 am #20860

• LakeEffectServices
Corrosion/Oxidation is the #1 enemy of your electrical system and power source connections. Use an electrical contact cleaner and abrasion to clean all mating metallic surfaces before tightening. Dielectric grease can be applied to the exterior (non mating) metallic surfaces after the connection is made to help prevent corrosion. In most cases it is not possible to properly apply dielectric grease to a "made" electrical connection.

Corrosion/Oxidation can cause a faulty or inconsistent ground which can lead to number of problems, one of which being voltage spikes or surges that can cause VERY harmful effects. Corrosion is routinely found in the field and will also cause problems related to insufficient or interrupted voltage that can affect performance. It can be found on battery cables, electrical connectors, fuse connections, relays or completely hidden within the ECM connector and other connectors. Interruption of 12v power to the EFI module causes some unusual problems with the engine management system, gauges or other electrical functions.

Boat Repair 101 - Dielectric Grease Aug 20, 2018 10:26 pm #20956

• edac
  • Thank you received: 15
I was under the impression that the grese seals the connection to prevnt corrosion. This link seems to explain it better. It dosn't make a better connection, it keeps a good connection good.

1850 Lund Grand Tyee

Boat Repair 101 - Dielectric Grease Aug 24, 2018 6:00 pm #21001

• LakeEffectServices
Should it be used on the metal to metal surfaces making the electrical contact?

Last edit: by LakeEffectServices.

Boat Repair 101 - Dielectric Grease Aug 25, 2018 12:09 am #21002

• edac
  • Thank you received: 15
I still strongly agree with my previous post. If you read the comments that are under your video when viewed on YouTube most agree with my post.
The grease is to keep the air and moisture out of your new, good connection to keep it from corroding. Put it on my boat connections over 25 years ago and the only problems I have are the wires insulation failing from age. Boat is close to 40 years old.
1850 Lund Grand Tyee
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split

Boat Repair 101 - Dielectric Grease Aug 25, 2018 8:16 am #21005

• Wildkat Tim
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 277
Guys, I've been using this for a couple years now. You put your connections together in the proper way you want them and be sure they are clean. Spray this over the top and your done. I use this on my small boat which has dual batteries. They have zero corrosion in 2 years now. All I do is check the water level every so often. I do have an on board charger so they stay fully charged all year.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split

Boat Repair 101 - Dielectric Grease Aug 25, 2018 10:46 am #21007

• netminder34
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 104
Ok guys I didn't watch the video so I may type something that has been said or in it. As an electronics/electrician guy for 30+ yrs this is the quick and dirty. Electricity flows by ion exchange(probably a little to technical) from point to point to work, in your boats case from + to - through the devise you are trying to power. Each connection has a resistance causing the flow to be restricted to a point. Resistance varies between materials, some have very little resistance to flow and others are very resistive and based on these properties metals are chosen for contactors, wiring, etc. For the best connection you want the least amount of resistance to allow current to flow through the wire and power your devices. Silicone, Grease, etc is very resistive to electrical flow and is not a good conductor but is a very good insulator and should be used on the outside of the connection to protect it from the elements and allow the least resistance for current flow. With this said you also need to watch the size wires and connectors you use, if you use wire or connectors that are too small for the amount of current you are providing to the devices you will overheat the wire, degrade the insulation and melt connections or wires causing shorts and possibly fires. So the more devices you are powering from one single source you need a bigger wire to carry the current and heat load. running from a fuse block to a graph is a small wire and connection since it is a low current draw and thus the battery to a terminal block powering your instrument panel and other electronics will be a bigger wire to withstand the current and heat before distribution as all the devices will draw current and be an accumulative draw requiring the bigger wire. Hope this helps.
Jeff
17' Smokercraft "Kings Ransom 2.0"

Boat Repair 101 - Dielectric Grease Aug 25, 2018 6:16 pm #21012

• Dirty
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1682
Completely agree on all points. Getting specific with dielectric grease, do not use in between electrical connections as noted in various posts above. Use it to help insulate those connections once they are made.
Boatless!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wallin

Boat Repair 101 - Dielectric Grease Mar 13, 2019 8:03 am #22516

• Mbenning
  • Thank you received: 7
I just use petroleum jelly aka Vaseline on any electrical connection that might experience moisture. Its not like the dielectric grease will break the bank but Vaseline is about 50 cents per ounce whereas dielectric grease is about $2.00 per ounce. That and there is almost always some petroleum jelly around the house.

• Page: