Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

mercruiser impellers Mar 19, 2019 8:53 am #22645

• bobejr
  • bobejr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 66
Wondering if someone out there could tell me why I go thru an impeller every year. I was under the impression they would last 2 - 3 years. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mercruiser impellers Mar 19, 2019 1:12 pm #22649

• Dirty
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1682
perhaps the impeller housing has some damage? Do you lubricate the housing when you put the new one in? What kind of engine?
Boatless!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bobejr

mercruiser impellers Mar 19, 2019 8:18 pm #22660

• BigEdV
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Winter Maintenance
  • Thank you received: 361
Are the used one shredded or what do they look like? The ones I have had changed were bent but the fins were all still intact on both my Yamaha and my old Mariner. If you can post a pick of the bad one maybe Frank or someone else with more knowledge on the subject might be able to help. I agree with Dirty - it seems there is something wrong with the housing or maybe the shaft is bent so its not spinning true.
-Eddo-

2014 Alumacraft competitor 175 aka "The Geek Squad"

Last edit: by BigEdV.

mercruiser impellers Mar 19, 2019 10:12 pm #22664

• Off the Hook
  • Thank you received: 29
I purchased an impellor from Amazon it said OEM replacement but went in pretty tight. It lasted about 3 months. I went to terpsters and paid slightly more but it is on the second year. I could tell right away it was a better fit - not overly tight. You also coat the housing with dish soap to keep it lubed before it gets primed.

mercruiser impellers Mar 20, 2019 9:40 am #22691

• bobejr
4.3l v6 merc is engine size and yes it was lubed at installation. As for the condition of the old one, it was pretty chewed up. Less than half of the fins were left.

Last edit: by bobejr.

mercruiser impellers Mar 20, 2019 10:12 pm #22716

• Angry Pirate
  • Thank you received: 488
I don’t know if io outdrives are the same as outboards but I would imagine they are similar. Most marine mechanics will recommend changing the impelor, housing and metal plate under the impeller. If one is worn it will eat an impeller alive. Not sure what parts you have been changing or if you have only been changing the impeller. Make sure you are not starting the engine out of the water unless you have the hose hooked. You would be surprised how fast you can cook the impeller. Not saying you are doing that either. Sand can chew them up too if you are boating at the beach often. I think a little more info may help find the problem. Or help a professional direct you a little better. Hope that helps a little good luck.
It's better to ask forgiveness than for permission.

mercruiser impellers Mar 20, 2019 11:31 pm #22717

• bobejr
I used the replacement kit which includes the metal plate, gaskets, o rings, new impeller housing and impeller. Did have ears hooked up. The boat is used for fishing. I'm not much of a beach person.

Last edit: by bobejr.

mercruiser impellers Mar 21, 2019 5:45 am #22719

• honda cat
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 222

I don’t know if io outdrives are the same as outboards but I would imagine they are similar. Most marine mechanics will recommend changing the impelor, housing and metal plate under the impeller. If one is worn it will eat an impeller alive. Not sure what parts you have been changing or if you have only been changing the impeller. Make sure you are not starting the engine out of the water unless you have the hose hooked. You would be surprised how fast you can cook the impeller. Not saying you are doing that either. Sand can chew them up too if you are boating at the beach often. I think a little more info may help find the problem. Or help a professional direct you a little better. Hope that helps a little good luck.

on most mercury/mercruiser exact same pump Kit want your pumps to last longer always change the complete kit with pump body and cup wear plate never use ear muffs but if you have to use only at idle always use the kind that are pinned of booted to gear case and can move off the water intake while engine is running never crank let alone start dry pump
Frank Martin
USCG Captain - 50 Ton Master
Great Lakes Inland Waterways
Near shore Salt water
Towing assist
owner Calumet Marine .com

mercruiser impellers Mar 21, 2019 1:13 pm #22731

• Angry Pirate
  • Thank you received: 488

I used the replacement kit which includes the metal plate, gaskets, o rings, new impeller housing and impeller. Did have ears hooked up. The boat is used for fishing. I'm not much of a beach person.

The man to talk with is frank Honda cat I know he’s not a mercury guy but I would give him a call I bet he can help you either with advice or taking care of it.
It's better to ask forgiveness than for permission.

• Page: