• Page:

TOPIC:

Almost Time For New Rigger Cables May 20, 2019 9:44 pm #24011

• Steelie Don
  • Steelie Don's Avatar Topic Author
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Thank you received: 509
Now that trolling season is about half over for me I am wanting to change out my rigger cables after my last trip to the lake. I have Scotty electrics and they came with 150ft of 150# test stainless cable. I am looking to add more cable length to the riggers in case of a deep water hang up to allow me some time to react to the situation. I am thinking 250ft would be a good number. My question; Is downrigger cable from other manufacturers compatible with other units? In other words is rigger cable just rigger cable? I know Scotty's are not popular around the lake for whatever the reason and their cable would not be a choice for most. Is there a brand that seems better than most that has the strength and kink resistance and is easy to handle? My cables are 5 years old and have been worked on several times removing kinks and replacing swivels and rubber bumpers.
My Searunner 190, "Four "D's" and a "C". Retirement money well spent.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Steelie Don.

Almost Time For New Rigger Cables May 21, 2019 2:46 pm #24013

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1724
Scotty #1002 Premium Stainless Steel Replacement Downrigger Cable 400-Foot Spool
by Scotty
4.0 out of 5 stars 11 customer reviews
Amazon's
Choice
for "downrigger cable"
List Price: $35.99
Price: $28.58 & FREE Shipping. Details
You Save: $7.41 (21%)
Scotty premium
Stainless steel
Replacement downrigger cable Fish USA carries big jon
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steelie Don

Almost Time For New Rigger Cables May 21, 2019 5:48 pm #24014

• southshore
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 471

Thanks Don!!! Never underestimate the power of suggestion... Cranked my manual up into the roller during a bit of excitement in building 3 footers off Mt Baldy this afternoon. Ball said kerplunk faster than I could say spit. Lol

Excitement was for naught as the fish just turned out to be a coho that got himself fouled in the jplug harness.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Almost Time For New Rigger Cables May 21, 2019 7:59 pm #24015

• Steelie Don
  • Steelie Don's Avatar Topic Author
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Thank you received: 509

Thanks Don!!! Never underestimate the power of suggestion... Cranked my manual up into the roller during a bit of excitement in building 3 footers off Mt Baldy this afternoon. Ball said kerplunk faster than I could say spit. Lol

Oh no John, man that sucks. My last near disaster happened a couple of weeks back when the cable was touched by a spinning kicker prop. Left one strand holding my 12 pound ball. Lucky I seen it before the same thing happened to me. I have lost about 10 ft off each cable over the years and one 10 pounder. Time to replace the stuff soon

My Searunner 190, "Four "D's" and a "C". Retirement money well spent.

Last edit: by Steelie Don.

Almost Time For New Rigger Cables May 22, 2019 3:49 pm #24025

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1376
Good lord, it's been so long since I changed a downrigger cable I can only guess what brand I'm using. Perhaps Mason? I started with 200 feet. I once (about 100 years ago) decided to just add more cable to what was already on the spool. I was amazed at how inaccurate the line counter became due to the increased spool size. Peeled it off and went back to just 200 feet. I did try 150 pound Power Pro downrigger line once. Worked great. Much less blow back. Cool stuff until the fishhook fleas showed up in July. You think clogging the line guide at your rod tip is bad.

• Page: