• Page:

TOPIC:

One for thee wall.... Apr 12, 2015 8:55 pm #985

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1683
Poorboy has alot of stalkers ;)

But in all seriousness, I think the reason people come in and get on top of another angler doing well is because they do not know how to use their sonar to find them.

I drove around an area today (near where I found them yesterday). I searched using my sonar for 45 minutes. Finally found them, went up wind. and drifted back over them and hit anchor on the ipilot and limited out in short order.

If your searching for perch, use your sonar - zoom into the bottom. Its a very valuable tool.
Boatless!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

One for thee wall.... Apr 12, 2015 10:34 pm #989

• Poorboy
  • Poorboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 42

Poorboy has alot of stalkers ;)

But in all seriousness, I think the reason people come in and get on top of another angler doing well is because they do not know how to use their sonar to find them.

I drove around an area today (near where I found them yesterday). I searched using my sonar for 45 minutes. Finally found them, went up wind. and drifted back over them and hit anchor on the ipilot and limited out in short order.

If your searching for perch, use your sonar - zoom into the bottom. Its a very valuable tool.

Nicely said Dirty and ...Yes I seem to have a growing fan club out there and it's usually why I prefer to fish during the week, very early and home early and even better when I'm there in someone elses truck and boat ...lol! Electronics is key and it doesn't have to be a top of the line model just a basic locator but understanding how to use it is most important like Dirty mentioned above. Hoarding in others can usually lead to someones feelings getting hurt.....Being polite and respectful might get you on a good bite and I have no problem with waving others over by me if they are struggling and especially if they have kids in the boat. Common sense and common courtesy can go a long way with someone if you don't have a clue on what you are doing....$0.02.

Poorboy
I am thee Original Perch King ......

One for thee wall.... Apr 16, 2015 10:20 pm #1046

• Baron2150
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 313
Good discussion guys! I attended a Hoosier Coho Club meeting last year when Brian Bridert from thenDNR discused the health of the Lake Michigan Fishery. Gobies do eat fish eggs particularly from Lake Trout. Perch eggs are surrounded by a gel like substance and the gobies don't like them so they aren't consumed by them. I particularly remember this because the gobies have become a major food source for Lake Trout, but they threaten natural reproduction because they eat their eggs. Anyway I agree with Dirty that the forage base is the problem rather than catching spawning fish. I remember the days where guys caught 5 gallon buckets of perch off the pier in michigan city and the commercial fisherman fished year round. This took place forever and not until the Zebras took hold did the perch population show signs of a reduced number.
Team Rippin'Lips

• Page: