Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

PERCH Aug 08, 2018 8:05 pm #20853

• fishywishy66
  • fishywishy66's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I live in Lafayette and only get up there once or twice per year -- so I am asking from you regular users this questions about the perch -- what has happened over the years???? back in the sixties, my dad used to take us to the m.c. pier around the 4th of july, and we would haul them in. I understand that is not the case today. so whats up??? I am sure there is a long-winded explanation, but can you shorten it? If I were to come up to m.c. now, where should I go, what should I use, etc.??? thanks for everything

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

PERCH Aug 09, 2018 7:00 am #20855

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1679
Perch decline was because of commercial fishing in the past and never rebounded because of the quaga mussels causing lower food chain shortages. Amonst other reasons I am sure.

There are certainly perch to be caught, but whether they are easily accessible or not is a whole other story. If you plan to be fishing from shore, I think you would have a tough time. In a boat somewhere between MI City and Portage is usually good. All depends on the weather though, sometimes they are there and sometimes gone. Anywhere from 15 feet of water to 55 feet of water. Have to search for them. Minnows are the top perch bait fished right on the bottom.
Boatless!
The following user(s) said Thank You: badredram, MC_angler, Wallin

PERCH Aug 09, 2018 8:52 am #20859

• MC_angler
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1268
Dirty summed most of it up succinctly

There has been poor recruitment (successful spawning and then survival of juvenile perch to adulthood) since the early 2000s. Much of that is related to zebra and quagga mussels drastically altering the food web, particularly the phytoplankton and zooplankton that baby perch depend upon to survive. There used to be a really good spring plankton bloom, right about the time that baby perch were hatching. now, that doesn't happen and most of them starve and die

Clearer water and predation from fish and birds also likely plays a role. And also possibility that microplastic pollution is a factor as well, although very little is understood about the nature of that problem right now.

There are still perch to be caught, but you need to go when the conditions are right. If you came up right now, you might have a decent chance. I watch the buoy in Michigan City glbuoys.glos.us/45170

When the surface temps are in the 70s and there is cold water break (thermocline) somewhere between 20 and 50 feet, that's when the water is set up right. As of 9 AM CST this morning, looks like a nice temp break between 49 and 52 feet, so that's probably where the perch are concentrated the most at this moment in time
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pikesmith, badredram, northwind, Marko, Wallin, little bill, Joco, Wildkat Tim, scoffer, SweetDaddy, bobejr

Last edit: by MC_angler.
  • Page: