• Page:

TOPIC:

7/23 Dunes Jul 23, 2015 9:14 pm #2493

• Dirty
  • Dirty's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1683
Got out this afternoon and saw quite the armada near the donut. Swirled through them but didnt see enough on sonar to make me fish with the crowd (curious how they did). We proceeded east and found a slow pick pattern drifting in 25'. Was out with Northwoods and his son. We ended the day with 24 keepers - best being 13". Now junior is working on his filet skills with his new bubba knife :) .

Boatless!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7/23 Dunes Jul 23, 2015 9:56 pm #2495

• Baron2150
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 313
I thought I saw you out there. I put the boat in for the weekend and we did a little scouting. Caught 5 in the general area where we saw you. Ran to the doughnut and didn't mark a thing on our drive through. Fished black ditch where we marked a bunch of fish bit they had lockjaw or weren't perch. We caught a few there. The wife and i are heading out in the AM and I think we are going to New Buffalo to see what's happening over there. We were in the Blue Lund Baron and i think we passed by you on our ride back from Portage. I almost stopped to say hi.
Team Rippin'Lips

7/23 Dunes Jul 23, 2015 11:29 pm #2496

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I recall seeing a blue lund at the dock as we came in - maybe that was you? We came from east of the pavilion at about 7:30pm, got back to portate at 7:45 or so. It was a tricky bite today - I think we managed to find something that worked mostly out of luck I would say. All of our fish came in 24-25 FOW - no more and no less. Was very strange. We did not mark much but it is what it is I guess. The jackbag in my boat (cough cough) sporting green perch flies did the best lol (was not me haha).
Boatless!

7/23 Dunes Jul 24, 2015 12:19 am #2497

• southshore
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 471
I can tell you from when I was out on Monday, that there are a lot of alewife schools around and they are very difficult to tell apart from perch on the graph. Stop by Bass Pro and grab a couple sabiki rigs and drop them down, you'll be pulling up ales left and right. I like to put them under a slip bobber with a small #14 treble in their shoulder. If the bobber goes down, give it a couple seconds to take the bait and you'll have a jumbo perch, that is unless there's a steely in the neighborhood. You can also use the ales in meat rigs for salmon. Dirty, I also had the best luck with lime green/chartruse flies on Monday.

7/23 Dunes Jul 24, 2015 5:02 am #2498

• bob
  • Thank you received: 724
Way to go Jeff. Nice job.
Sea Ray 290 Amberjack
Kelliann 4

7/23 Dunes Jul 24, 2015 6:01 am #2499

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1740
nice fish Jeff,
and let me know how the bubba blade worked
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away

7/23 Dunes Jul 24, 2015 8:10 am #2505

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

I can tell you from when I was out on Monday, that there are a lot of alewife schools around and they are very difficult to tell apart from perch on the graph. Stop by Bass Pro and grab a couple sabiki rigs and drop them down, you'll be pulling up ales left and right. I like to put them under a slip bobber with a small #14 treble in their shoulder. If the bobber goes down, give it a couple seconds to take the bait and you'll have a jumbo perch, that is unless there's a steely in the neighborhood. You can also use the ales in meat rigs for salmon. Dirty, I also had the best luck with lime green/chartruse flies on Monday.

Yep - I usually carry a sabiki rig rod with me while I am perching. I have never tried using them to catch jumbos though, I will have to give that a try. I usually just use those ales for my meat rigs.
Boatless!

7/23 Dunes Jul 24, 2015 8:11 am #2506

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

nice fish Jeff,
and let me know how the bubba blade worked

Blade seemed good (not sure how it holds it or sharpens) and the handle.......that is the best part. has an excellent feel with a ton of control.
Boatless!

7/23 Dunes Jul 24, 2015 11:57 am #2508

• netminder34
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 104
I have been trying a Bubba Blade this year and so far have been very happy with it and it seems to be holding a good edge.
Jeff
17' Smokercraft "Kings Ransom 2.0"

7/23 Dunes Jul 24, 2015 1:29 pm #2509

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1740
Thanks Jeff, and Jeff. Almost bought one last season, and am ready for an upgrade. Just saw them at BP, they had a good selection and prices were the same as seen on ebay.
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away

• Page: