Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Poll: Wild VS Stocked King Data (2015) (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

Wild
82 67.2%
Stocked
40 32.8%
Total number of voters: 27 ( blackrangerreata, Tmik34, Spoon-Fed, bob, BigEdV ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC:

Wild VS Stocked King Data (2015) Sep 24, 2015 6:43 am #3612

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
My guess is the coded wire tag will prove the fish to come from an Indiana hatchery, stocked in the St. Joe where it lived most of it's life in Michigan waters and then was caught in the Michigan part of the river. Another win for Indiana Salmon Stamp buyers! But I'm just getting snarky again. Haven't finished my first cup of coffee this morning.
The topic has been locked.

Wild VS Stocked King Data (2015) Nov 28, 2015 9:42 am #4204

• Tmik34
  • Tmik34's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1092
Thank you all that inputted data here. I think it's safe to say that most of us if not all are done entering data for 2015.

This is a great data collection tool, and we will be doing this again for the years to follow in order to generate a data series of natural kings year to year.
-Lady M- Sea Ray 290 Amberjack

Wild VS Stocked King Data (2015) Dec 02, 2015 7:47 am #4238

• Dirty
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1680
Just got this from Ben at the DNR. Pretty amazing how close the data is guys!

I’ve been following the sticky on thesouthend as members report their kings and fin clips. Now that our field season is completely over, I have some preliminary data at this time (not yet quality controlled and analyzed by the USFWS) that I thought might be of interest to those that participated.

Thesouthend’s numbers on chinooks in 2015:
Wild - 82 67.2%
Stocked - 40 32.8%

The preliminary data is from the USFWS headhunters operating out of Indiana (they covered East Chicago, Burns Harbor, and Michigan City primarily, but also made a few trips to St. Joseph and South Haven). They took biodata from 3,348 fish this year, including length, weight, stomach samples, muscle tissue samples, fin clips, and aging structures (scales, otoliths, and coded wire tags).

Of the 307 chinooks that were collected from the open water fishery (not pierhead/stream) in a statistically valid manner, the percentage came out to 67.1% wild and 32.9% stocked, which is nearly identical to your guys’ poll.

It is nice to see, although not surprising, that the headhunter data on chinook fin clips aligns so closely with the data on thesouthend, given the sample sizes and the fact that it appears as if anglers entered their data similarly to how the headhunters collect it. Hopefully this will boost angler confidence and trust in the validity of the USFWS mass marking reports. The Mass Marking Program is crucial to management of the salmonid fishery and without the information it provides, there is no way of knowing how strong wild recruitment is on a year-to-year basis.

If any of the anglers that participated in thesouthend.org poll would like to provide their data to a management agency for scientific use, they can contact Dan O’Keefe at the Michigan SeaGrant, he runs a program called Salmon Ambassadors for anglers to provide useful data for managing the fishery. I myself am a participant, it is pretty simple. www.miseagrant.umich.edu/explore/fisheries/salmon-ambassadors/

As always, if you or other forum members have some questions I can help answer all you have to do is email
Boatless!
The following user(s) said Thank You: reel fun, Pikesmith

Wild VS Stocked King Data (2015) Dec 02, 2015 8:42 am #4239

• bob
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 722
That is pretty cool!!
Sea Ray 290 Amberjack
Kelliann 4

Wild VS Stocked King Data (2015) Dec 03, 2015 7:08 pm #4246

• Dirty
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
yes very cool
Boatless!

Wild VS Stocked King Data (2015) Dec 08, 2015 3:49 pm #4286

• Spoon-Fed
  • Thank you received: 6
Thanks for the info on the Salmon Ambassador program. I shot Mr. O'Keefe an email and he promptly responded with all of the information about data collection and reporting for 2016, which seems to be very straight forward and simple. I let him know about TheSouthEnd site and the online wild vs. stocked survey you guys put together for this year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty, bob, Tmik34

Wild VS Stocked King Data (2015) Dec 08, 2015 9:38 pm #4290

• Dirty
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Good deal - Thank You Spoon-Fed
Boatless!