• Page:

TOPIC:

Portage 7/23 Jul 22, 2016 8:42 am #8037

• Stroke of Luck
  • Stroke of Luck's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 325
Stay close, run to 90'? Wreck? 3 Corners? I've just not had enough time out there this year to feel like I have it dialed in. I can't remember a year where by the end of July I have not fished in water over 100' and no deeper than 65' on the rigger given where the temp break has been. Anybody got a plan?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Stroke of Luck.

Portage 7/23 Jul 22, 2016 8:47 am #8039

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1685
The fish have been moving and I have not heard a ton lately. If it were me, I would start at the wreck on a north heading to 90 FOW and then move east perhaps. I am sure some others who have been out there lately have some more well defined recommendations though.
Boatless!

Portage 7/23 Jul 22, 2016 9:08 am #8041

• SafeCracker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 94

The fish have been moving and I have not heard a ton lately. If it were me, I would start at the wreck on a north heading to 90 FOW and then move east perhaps. I am sure some others who have been out there lately have some more well defined recommendations though.

We covered that area Wednesday night. Marked some pockets of fish but everything was really spaced out. It could be completely different by now though.
Good luck.
Greg ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :woohoo:

Portage 7/23 Jul 22, 2016 9:12 am #8042

• Angry Pirate
  • Thank you received: 488
We fished the wreck heading north east out to 90 feet the other night my buddie reported it. It was dead. We ended at I believe around 52n and 20ish if I was going to go out I would set down in 80 fow on the Illinois Michigan border and push north until the fish make you want to turn around. All reports on the wreck are slow but there are still a few kings around that area. Temp was 50 down 48 if that helps. Drop a rigger to the bottom to give yourself some catch and realse action. I would set up more for steel action.
It's better to ask forgiveness than for permission.

Portage 7/23 Jul 22, 2016 11:32 am #8049

• willbill2
  • Thank you received: 1
there is a good amount of steel head in close right now the last 2 days we fished about a mile or 2 north of the ditch with good action including a nice king the cold water brought the kings in close try fishing there however i did notice the fish we hooked were all deep riggers were firing off set about 5 ft off the bottom our speed and temp was out of battery so i dont know where the temp break is but its there and so are the kings

Portage 7/23 Jul 22, 2016 12:03 pm #8051

• reel fun
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 212
This was from Capt Mike on the Brother Nature on the 19th...

No one at the marina this morning except me. No wet tracks ahead of me. No voices on the radio. So where to go?

I hadn't heard anything good over west for a while. Or east. So I went north, set down just on the Michigan side (there you go IL with your $17 - licenses. Stopped at 91 feet of water and trolled a 10 degree heading on out.

It took me 1 1/2 hours to set rods (10 spread) - partially due to age and senility, mostly due to fishus interruptus. Not a really horrible disease to have.

Once all rods set, I turned back south - erly and that killed the bite for a while. Then the silvers showed up. First a steel, then an 'ho, then a king, big honker on a Spinnie/meathead.

"I think I have him under control, now" says my customer.

"What's the line counter read on the reel?"

"231 feet"

"You started at 148," I said. "Keep cranking."

More silver to complete the day and a double six-packer wouldn't contain the filets.

BEST OF ALL - Slick lake, no flies and no fleas - hoo-wah!

Portage 7/23 Jul 22, 2016 1:06 pm #8055

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1395
Unless I hear something to change my mind, I'll be in 100 feet of water in the 7s to 10s.

I might take temps in 45 feet and just stay in close if the temp break is around 30 feet or so.

Portage 7/23 Jul 22, 2016 1:40 pm #8056

• Stroke of Luck
  • Stroke of Luck's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 325
Thanks for the feedback guys, probably try Will and Mike's plan unless reports come in today that says different. Standing by on 68 tomorrow. Hope to hit the launch by 5:00AM and be back before it gets crazy because I have a feeling it's going to be one of those days.

• Page: