Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Portage 3/30 Apr 01, 2018 1:01 pm #18483

• Bordy
  • Bordy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Got out for the first time this season with out of town guest. Friday was their only day so we gave it a try. Four to six foot rolllers crashing the beach at 10 am. Wasted a couple of hours at Bass Pro and got on the water about 1 pm after some boat repairs. Loose battery connections. Caught 3 in the first hour outside the ditch to the west. Still some 6 foot rollers but the wind had laid and it was easily fishable. Decided to run down to Gary. Waves were a lot worse there, bouncing off the break walls and creating hay stacks. Rough but we were on the fish immediately. East of the light in 40-42 FoW. Caught 14 in about 2 hours. Ended a few short of a 4 man limit but had a great time. Sure is fun to get after those coho. We lost more than we landed. Ha. First couple were on red thin fin but had trouble keeping it in the water so we went with deeper divers, Frenzy in crawfish caught many. Red shad rap in a smaller version caught a few. Tried dodger and fly on the downrigger with no hits. Mostly fished 50 back. Didn’t use boards due to waves.
I have a question. Nice guy at the ramp said he caught them earlier in the week between the Gary light and the donut. Where is the donut? I’m not that familiar with the Gary Light area. I assume it is the red light at the end of the break walls at the blue USS plant. Is that right? My Navionics chip doesn’t have Lake Michigan.
Thanks in advance for the help and hope to see you guys out there in the near future.
Fish on!
Bordy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Portage 3/30 Apr 01, 2018 3:07 pm #18487

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1683
Thanks for the report. The donut is the intake to Nipsco's Bailly Gen station. It is just east of burns harbor.
Boatless!

Portage 3/30 Apr 01, 2018 3:56 pm #18488

• Bordy
  • Bordy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Right, I know about THAT donut, but I think the person that talked to me meant a donut by the Gary light. He said he caught them in 42 FoW from the light to the donut in an East West line. Surely he didn’t mean the donut east of the Port of Indiana. That would be 10 miles or so. That’s a long run! Ha. I don’t know if there is a donut near the Gary light, maybe west? I did not see an intake to the east of the light. And it was too rough to drive around checking things out.

Thanks for the reply.

Portage 3/30 Apr 01, 2018 5:05 pm #18489

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1683
I am not aware of any other donut.........so I am out of guesses lol
Boatless!

• Page: