Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Skamania-so many questions May 29, 2019 6:05 am #24120

• Ronaldok1
  • Ronaldok1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 22
this is my first year fishing the south end of the lake so i have a lot to learn.
are they caught primarily in the river?
can i use my kayak in the river? not into combat fishing from shore.
troll or slip bobber?
do they stage in the big water?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Skamania-so many questions May 29, 2019 6:29 am #24121

• MCYaker
  • Thank you received: 26
I have fished from the pier at Michigan City many times and have caught them from both sides using shrimp and slip bobber (8"-10" deep), Oslo and Mepps spinners, Hot n Tots and Wiggle Warts, it always seemed that whatever I was using worked but I always used bait on one rod and artificial on the other. I have also caught a lot of steelhead on the ST Joe between Central Park and Twin Branch at Mishawaka. The last few years have been the best fishing there in 20 years, with near record numbers coming up the ladders. Twin Branch is also the closest to you and that stretch is very kayak friendly. This year I will be fishing Michigan City and the St Joe from my kayak. There was a report of steelhead being caught at Michigan City Sunday on shrimp. I usually don't go until the end of June but the way this year has been I think I'll start early and stay late. If the weather permits I my try Michigan City Sunday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stag, Ronaldok1

Skamania-so many questions May 29, 2019 9:30 am #24122

• MC_angler
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1272
They are caught both in the streams and in the lake. Pierhead guys get first crack at them, and usually that's where they are most aggressive. Shrimp/crawlers/live alewife under a bobber are standby baits. Sometimes it's 4 feet down, sometimes nearly on the bottom. Casting spoons and spinners can work great too

They are caught both lakeside and river side, depending on the day. Water temps/clarity have a lot to do with it. Sometimes they stage, sometimes they shoot up the creeks. Really depends.

You could anchor/drift your boat and fish out of it to avoid the pier insanity somewhat. Or troll some spoons or cranks around the pierhead and in the harbor. Flatlines or boards/dipseys. You'll likely catch some freshwater drum doing that as well. Which is almost as fun as skamania on some days when the big ones are biting.

Avoiding the combat fishing is tough once word gets out. The diehards start fishing the last couple weeks of May, to avoid the crowds and hope they hit the first hot bite
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sundevil, badredram, Ronaldok1

Skamania-so many questions May 29, 2019 10:22 am #24123

• Tmik34
  • Thank you received: 1092
They are a blast to catch and Ben gave you a good coverage of what to expect and how to catch. I'll add in a couple things, portage is another location along with mc and st joe.

If you fish the pier heads from land a lot of guys use whats called a Michigan city rig and that is a braided line with a heavy pyramid sinker tied at the end of it and that is all that is tied to the main line. Cast that out as far as you can then put the rod in a rod holder. Take a pre made 7 foot long leader with a snap, slip bobber a couple weights and a hook with cooked shrimp at the end and snap it to the main line. It will help work its way down on its own but you can help it too. When a fish hits reel in the slack as fast as you can to make contact with your bobber leader and set the hook. Usually the fish has swallowed the shrimp. Your bobber will sit relatively close to you more so than your used to when castingx but this avoids your bobber drifting and having to re cast every 5 minutes, especially if you fish river side.

Trolling is usually orange spoons cranks or plugs flatline and riggers are good.
-Lady M- Sea Ray 290 Amberjack
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ronaldok1

Skamania-so many questions May 29, 2019 12:47 pm #24125

• Ronaldok1
i just finished my rod trees im ready for battle.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by Ronaldok1.

Skamania-so many questions May 30, 2019 4:57 pm #24150

• Steelhead
  • Thank you received: 34
My favorite time to fish for Steelhead is November to February in the rivers. Right after all the salmon die is a good time to start.
2016 Lund 2075 Tyee Magnum "My Last Toy"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ronaldok1

Skamania-so many questions Jun 01, 2019 8:04 am #24167

• fishersofmen4
  • Thank you received: 96
i fish both out of my hewescraft and my kayak...caught a 14,11,10 lb steelhead last july 4 right out front in about 30 fow with my kayak...what a blast...i initially was trolling with two rods but my first fish crossed lines and i thought i'd never land him.....used only one rod after that....went out with my daughter and plane to sea about two wks ago and we got 8 coho out at 55 fow....that was also a ball....i have not decided which boat to use this mon/tues but am thinking of perching in my kayak....steve.....i think the steelhead came on J-13 firetigers
The following user(s) said Thank You: badredram, Ronaldok1

Skamania-so many questions Jun 01, 2019 10:10 am #24172

• Ronaldok1
Wife and I went out yesterday in the deep v. Went 7 for 8 all on flasher fly. Combo of kings and coho. The lake was like glass I was wishing I was in the kayak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MCYaker

Skamania-so many questions Jun 07, 2019 1:36 pm #24232

• MC_angler
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1272
This weekend could be prime - there have been a few skamania caught by pier guys in BH and MC, and the weather looks pretty nice. Starting to get some temp stratification out in the lake, the tributary temps and flow are ok for the time being too
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steelie Don, Pikesmith, EAGLE EYE, badredram, little bill, Grateful Phisher, Ronaldok1, MCYaker

• Page: