• Page:

TOPIC:

Portage 5/31 May 31, 2019 7:09 pm #24157

• drjdrew
  • drjdrew's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 363
Hit the donut at about 6:15 and chased bait balls for Bout four hours. One Coho, a couple releases, and then nothing for quite a while. Didn't see many nets moving so decided to pull lines and head to Gary chasing radio traffic. Again, lots of bait and marked fish but only one lone King and snagged two Alewife. Both fish came on a green tiger dipsey trailed by a UV Mixed Veggies spoon.
1982 Alumacraft T-16XL
1995 ProLine 170 Sportsman

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Plane to Sea, Pikesmith, kingme, Fish head, Weakfish, Ltrain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Portage 5/31 May 31, 2019 7:56 pm #24159

• EAGLE EYE
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 248
What water depth were the guys in at Gary

Portage 5/31 May 31, 2019 10:04 pm #24163

• drjdrew
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I was among about six boats in the 55' range
1982 Alumacraft T-16XL

Portage 5/31 Jun 01, 2019 8:03 am #24166

• skope
  • Thank you received: 181
Sounds familiar.... fished the same general area. I dropped lines at 6:00 and fished until 9:30 with similar results. 1 for 3 on coho, fished in the 50-65' range and marked bait and fish balls, but nothing crazy. 2 hits on sliders off riggers with super slims blue dolphin and wire dipsey back 120' with mag perch spoon. Sounds like there was a better bite west earlier in the a.m. more toward gary. Lots of debris in the water fouling up the lines, but it was a beautiful morning to be out. Lake was like glass... Fish-on! Nick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Weakfish

Portage 5/31 Jun 01, 2019 2:37 pm #24177

• fishon
  • Thank you received: 68
Fished on 5/31 by Gary in 55-60 foot of water from 4pm to 8pm.Marked a lot of bait and worked the areas the held the most bait. Ended up with 14 coho and 1 king (8lbs). Speed at the ball was critical for our success(depth Raider). There was a lot of current out there, we had to be constantly monitored speed at the ball. 1.9 to 2.1 mph at the ball was the best. Was strictly a fly bite with one fish coming on a free slider spoon. Down riggers at 35 and 42 down and about 30 back produced well with 6 inch spin doctor(chartreuse orange crush) and Asteroid fly ( Rapture Trolling flies). and a OO clown dodger with Black Fision. Braided dipsy back 95 with a standard diver(3 setting). High wire with mini dipsy(2 1/2 setting) set 90 back with 8 inch pro troll and green fision fly (rapture trolling flies). Low wire divers 1 1/2 setting back 90 to 110 also took fish. Boards with 3/4 oz weight 60 back with OO orange dodger and peanut fly, 3 and 4 color lead core all took fish.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty, bob, Off the Hook, EAGLE EYE, badredram, Weakfish, bobejr, Ltrain

Portage 5/31 Jun 01, 2019 4:50 pm #24178

• drjdrew
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I had a hunch a slower approach might be effective, should have listened to my gut. Thanks for the info!
1982 Alumacraft T-16XL

Portage 5/31 Jun 01, 2019 5:21 pm #24179

• Off the Hook
  • Thank you received: 29
Fish on- Where you runnig 6 divers? 4 wire and 2 braid? I had thought about that but have been afraid of tangles.
I only have 2 wires but have 4 braid. Do you stick to spoons on your mini divers ?

I just reread and see you ran protroll..... I can see a tangled mess for me in the near future, but will give it a try - LOL

Last edit: by Off the Hook.

Portage 5/31 Jun 01, 2019 9:39 pm #24186

• fishon
  • Thank you received: 68
I run 4 Dipsy divers, usually run 4 wires but when the fish are shallow I will run braid for my high divers and wire for.my deep. I very rarely run spoons on my divers. I will try a variety of attractors depending on the species I am targeting. I also like using the mini divers when fish are shallow. Try running the combo I mentioned in my previous post. The 6 in spin Doctor chartreuse orange crush with a asteroid coho fly ( rapture trolling flies). It has been a deadly combo for me.

Portage 5/31 Jun 04, 2019 1:50 pm #24201

• Sesshoku
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 56
I fished the same area that evening with about the same luck. Took a 4-pound coho on a slider and had another hit a Flicker Shad on flat line. I got a tip to head a bit deeper to 60-65 FOW, so I headed out there around sunset and marked a bunch of fish and bait. But I couldn’t buy a bite. Most fish were suspended around 25 ft, but there were about as many down around 40. Ended up 1 for 3 with a broken downrigger, a sonar that decided it was done and a brand new landing net thanks to leaving my other two in my garage - two hours away.

• Page: