• Page:

TOPIC:

Portage 6/3 am Jun 04, 2019 8:13 pm #24206

• drjdrew
  • drjdrew's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 363
Got up early for a run at the lake with my dad and brother Monday and discovered that the waves were a bit more than I wanted to tackle. We decided to hold off and my brother had some work errands to run. I got out and trolled right in front of the Portage breakwater for about an hour. Marked a LOT of bait and quite a few fish in 20-30' but didn't draw any action. The crew showed up at 8:30 and since the waves were still a bit tricky, we set lines right out of the gate and started our troll NE into the waves.

Steadily marked bait balls from 20' all the way out to 60'. Took a nice coho on a red 00 dodger and blue/green/black fly on three colors in about 30' of water. Got out to 55' and chased bait balls for an hour or two and took our second Coho on a Blue Dolphin spoon behind a green dipsey about 50' back. Tripped the riggers a couple of times with no result so we headed in towards the donut to troll back shallow and see if we couldn't hook a Skamania. One more nice coho on a mixed veggies behind a wonder bread dipsey 40' back, another on a blue dolphin slider and snagged a shaker coho through the gills on the blue dolphin/green dipsey combo. Waves started to build again so we turned back in to Portage when we got there.

Bait is still EVERYWHERE from 20' on out and we marked a lot of fish, they just weren't buying what we were offering. Hoping to make it out Wednesday after work, but we'll see.
1982 Alumacraft T-16XL
1995 ProLine 170 Sportsman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty, TAKIN IT EZ, Plane to Sea, go4bigfish, dogsbestfriend, Sundevil, EAGLE EYE, Paul_L, badredram, northwind, Webster3, kingme, Fish head, Weakfish, edac, WattzUp, Ted Lundy, MCYaker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Portage 6/3 am Jun 05, 2019 6:35 pm #24214

• Grobowabo
  • Thank you received: 66
I launched out of whiting at 3pm and went north of Gary lite, it was a rough ride, but set lines in 60 foot of water. There were plenty of bait and finally got a nice coho on a 3 color with a 00 dodger and trolling fly. We also got hit on the downrigger with a big spoon , don’t know the name . We got back to whiting at about 730. It was rough !!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty, Plane to Sea, EAGLE EYE, Fish head

Portage 6/3 am Jun 05, 2019 7:46 pm #24215

• Dirty
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1681
Thanks for the reports guys!
Boatless!

• Page: