Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Off shore questions Jun 01, 2023 11:35 am #37572

• Snotrocket
  • Snotrocket's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 69
I’m still trying to figure things out and looking for some advice.  
I’ve been out around 8-10 times this spring. I launch out of New Buffalo, but run down to Michigan city occasionally. I’ve been doing better than last year, but it seems everyone has. When in 60 FOW or less, people generally seem to run parallel to shore.
It seems like the fish are moving deeper.  When you run out deeper, what is your heading (direction) starting point?  Also, what is your rationale for your actual starting point (coordinates)?   Just aim for a general starting depth?  Does left to right make any difference?
it just feels so unknown and random at this point for me.  I have a fish hawk so can adjust speed for currents.  Do currents tend to run parallel to shore even when out deep?  I am not great at reading my rods to assess current direction, but try to pay attention.  Lastly, when out deep, is zigzagging a strategy or generally a straight troll better?  Thanks for any tips.  I appreciate the community and willingness to help out.  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Off shore questions Jun 01, 2023 5:37 pm #37578

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1682
Early in the year the fish are shallow,  sometimes they finding slightly warmer water, sometimes it is bait that is stacked on the shoreline.  As we move into June, the fish move offshore in favor of cooler waters. The bait also tends to scatter.   For the most part, there is no ryme or reason as to where they are but some areas are generally somewhat  consistent and learning those just comes with some trial and error.  More often than not, we are hunting fish, then once we find them, we stay on them. We go all directions, just depends on the day and what we feel might work best.   Listen to reports, talk to people, and then follow suit.  Generally there is not much current offshore from the south end.  If your up by St. Joe, or Chicago and north there may be alot.  Those currents are North and South for the most part.  Out offshore in the center of the southern basin, there is usually not much current, however some weather patterns may generate a current, and it could be in any direction or even circular over the course of several miles.

Zig zagging is always better than a straight troll.  Your speeding some rods up, and slowing others.  

Boatless!

Off shore questions Jun 01, 2023 9:18 pm #37581

• Trent
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 9/12/1957
  • Thank you received: 349
Hello! I've fished out of New Buffalo for many years but this year I went back to Michigan City because of all the duckweed and problems launching with people rent rafts .

Anyway, I just like you will learned from joining the Michiana Steelheaders but that group no longer exists. But asking questions in this group or on Facebook groups helps a lot.

I'm always willing to help and normally available. A couple things that are missing now that we had back in the 70s and 80s was the local baitfish in New Buffalo (Impatient II) and people talking on the radio. Now there aren't any bait shops in New Buffalo and most people talk on cellphones now but I still like to talk on the radio especially when we dont have cell service.

I'd like to help you! I'll send you a private message.

• Page: