Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

East Chicago winds/ waves conditions Mar 23, 2024 9:06 am #38900

• runabout367
  • runabout367's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
I see there is a small craft advisory until 10pm tonight. Winds are to go east over night then turn southeast tomorrow.  Would east Chicago area be fishable in the morning? I have a 17ft smokercraft Ultima. Still trying to learn the lake and wind/waves. My guess is swells and 2-3fts? Can anyone give there opinion? With 3 little kids it gets harder to find free time to get out. Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SweetDaddy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

East Chicago winds/ waves conditions Mar 23, 2024 12:35 pm #38902

• Trent
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 9/12/1957
  • Thank you received: 349
You need to get up in the morning and see what is happening. Good chance there will still be bumpy seas!

When you say you have 3 small ones SCARS ME because it's a question Mark in your mind.

It's cold outside and the water is cold and if one of them fell in or worse yet you fell in it would be catastrophic!
They have been catching fish in 12 fow at Portage.
I'm 66 and I'm always concerned about Safety. And based on what you've said I wouldn't take my kids out.
I have a 26ft Stamas Hardtop and based on the Gail we are having fishing may be tough at best or it could be on fire but I'm not going to go fishing.

Just my two cents

East Chicago winds/ waves conditions Mar 23, 2024 12:48 pm #38903

• runabout367
  • runabout367's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks for the input. Sorry, just to clarify but I wasn't planning on bringing my kids just mentioning how I don't have many free days to get out fishing. Ill keep track of the winds but leaning towards planning for another day. 

East Chicago winds/ waves conditions Mar 23, 2024 1:12 pm #38904

• Joek1031
  • Thank you received: 0
Drove out there this morning no trailers on lot . Talked to someone who just came in from charter said was pretty rough

East Chicago winds/ waves conditions Mar 23, 2024 7:09 pm #38905

• Tmik34
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1097
Se wind at east Chicago is fine. If it turns more east than south then it'll get rough but anything south as the major you'll be fine.
-Lady M- Sea Ray 290 Amberjack

East Chicago winds/ waves conditions Mar 24, 2024 7:37 am #38907

• Trent
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 9/12/1957
  • Thank you received: 349
Good morning! Sounds like you made a good decision. I see one came off the water this morning and said it was rough.

One thing I've noticed is that it takes hours for the waves to calm down after a big blow. We dont normally go out especially if the wind is going to be gusty as the wind changes direction and how fast or slowly it switches. Its can be difficult with waves and rollers coming from the north from a big blow for a couple days then the wind is shifting and you get a cross chop.

You will learn the lake as you spend more time on the water. I started out with a 16ft deep V bottom boat then worked my way up.

Good luck!

East Chicago winds/ waves conditions Mar 24, 2024 8:21 am #38908

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
SE is not a very good wind for East Chicago. The only "true" lee area is along Buffington breakwall, which isn't a lot of space and is subject to residual swells. Better is the area known as the third lite - to the mouth of the ship canal. Probably calm fishing but it can be a "sporty" four or five mile ride from the marina around the steel mill to get to the tranquil waters.  

East Chicago winds/ waves conditions Mar 24, 2024 8:35 pm #38922

• Searcher
  • Thank you received: 20
BNature is on the money, SE winds on EC are not good winds, WSW is what you’d be look’n for at EC, for the kind of craft you’re fishing out of.

• Page: