Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Riviera Planer Boards Apr 03, 2024 12:26 pm #39037

• noodles
  • noodles's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
The boat I bought came with Mast and Riviera boards. I have never used them yet but am wondering if they will be a pain to use? Also what would be the best releases to use? I appreciate any feed back about using them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Riviera Planer Boards Apr 04, 2024 4:09 am #39039

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
I've been using Riviera Planer Boards for decades. My two cents worth -- there is a learning curve to use them, just as there is a learning curve to using downriggers or dipsey divers. Learning to use them is WELL worth the effort. You could substitute trolling with heavy weights from a half to two pounds instead of using downriggers, but who wants to fight a fish with a pound or so of weight on the line. Before Dipsey Divers were invented there were other divers that didn't trip. They weren't popular because who wants to catch a fish with a locked in place diver between the rod tip and the fish? 
In-line planers were perfected by charter captains and tournament fishermen - both groups that measure success by the number of fish caught, not by the fun of catching the fish. In lines have advantages. I've been on walleye charters who put six inlines on each side of the boat. (Want a no-fight fishing experience, try walleyes on in-lines.)  I've run four lines on my big boards, but find running three per side is quite comfortable. I run only two long lines per side in the summer - leadcores over three colors, 150 or longer coppers or weighted steel. 
I make my own releases out of aligator clips, rubber windshield washer tubing and shower curtain rings. Offshore (yellow) releases are good but very expensive.   

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Pogo - Reel Therapy

Riviera Planer Boards Apr 04, 2024 6:02 am #39041

• Ltrain
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 294

The boat I bought came with Mast and Riviera boards. I have never used them yet but am wondering if they will be a pain to use? Also what would be the best releases to use? I appreciate any feed back about using them.

Amish outfitters makes nice releases
www.fishusa.com/Amish-Outfitters-Clipper...=113872&gad_source=1
Slide down the line nice and you team them up with a small rubber band. 
I was all about to get into big boards on my last boat but it was totaled so that ended that.  I will not be setting up big boards on this boat. 

If i was  charter captain  who needed to maximize my lines out,  I would run them but I don't want to give up the maneuverability  of running inlines.  I also set my inlines to release and slide down the line so i fight the fish the whole way in and not the board. I don't have to lug a mast and boards out there either. 

If you do go with the big board setup I recommend running snubbers off the boards to minimize the shock and alot of guys are running weed eater line off the spools. You may need to run aluminum spools as the plastic ones crack sometimes when running the weed eater line.  If you stay with conventional  line Amish outfitters also has good deals on that.  Good luck
200hp Tohatsu
9.9hp Tohatsu
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 Li batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 tabs
Traxstech 72" , Berts 24" tracks
2 Big Jon Capt packs
MK 15' Talon
Lowrance autopilot

Riviera Planer Boards Apr 04, 2024 6:11 am #39042

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1740
I would like to second everything Capt. Mike passed on for using big boards. I also run the big boards. I switched to have more fun fighting my fish. As Capt. Mike explained there is a little to get used to but I do not think I would switch back. Been using the Big Jon mast and never had any issues. I am considering to making them electric as my down riggers are. In summer we run leadcore and coppers off of them and when we do we usually will rubber band for release.
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Pogo - Reel Therapy

Riviera Planer Boards Apr 04, 2024 8:51 am #39049

• reel fun
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 212
I have a bunch of these just like Capt Mike described. Will be more than happy to give them to you, and will ship them too in order that someone may get some use out of them. 

Riviera Planer Boards Apr 05, 2024 12:25 am #39055

• Paul Pogo - Reel Therapy
  • Thank you received: 4
My boat will be towing Amish Outfitter's Big Boards paired with Cisco Planer Board motors.  Literally finished connecting the controls and spooled the tether cord!  Now I need to get out and grow some whiskers learning how to manage them.  Weather sucks, but next week looks promising! 

Riviera Planer Boards Apr 05, 2024 12:46 am #39056

• Paul Pogo - Reel Therapy
  • Thank you received: 4
I like your post! Perhaps because I will be towing the Amish Outfitter boardswith the Amish Outfitter tow line, tethered to Cisco Planer Board Motors with Aluminum Reels. All bought from FishUSA! I engineered an interesting set-up that needs a trial run before I post pictures. But for what I've invested (not spent), these better put fish in the box or I'm going to be doing some serious explaining to my wife!

Riviera Planer Boards Apr 07, 2024 8:39 am #39062

• Stroke of Luck
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 325
Love the distinction between "invested" and "spent". Unfortunately my wife doesnt understand the difference either!

Last edit: by Stroke of Luck.
  • Page: