TOPIC:

Lakers on the shoals Apr 12, 2024 7:21 am #39123

• BNature
  • BNature's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
Had a crew in from Iowa on Tuesday and Wednesday and Tuesday it was tough going. A couple of cohos in the usual spots, nothing in a couple other spots, I did put a J-Plug down about 20 foot since reports of a few kings were in the area so we were excited when that rod bent down. We were just off the end of the steelmill at East Chicago. As the fish was cranked to the surface, it was clear it wasn't a king, but a laker. It put up a great fight since it wasn't pulled from the great depths as is often the case and actually, it won the battle and threw the hook as it struggled on the surface close to the net. 

So I put a spoon and a Spin Doctor/spin n glow down deep and in a couple hours, we'd boxed three more trout and lost one. Day saver and the crew went home happy. 

So on Wednesday, I headed out a bit deeper staying on the east edge of the shoals with a full boat of laker tackle - wire divers, mag Dipseys, and some weighted steel lines - 100 and 150s.  We had five in the box before I got all the lines set, had steady action through the morning and caught and released three extras that bit while we were pulling lines for the ride back. It wasn't the hot salmon bite they expected when the trip was planned but those guys are heading back to Iowa with smiles, aching forearms and plans for grilling, smoking, baking and canning the lakers going home with them.  Besides the aching arms and laker fillets, they have minds full of memories that will last forever!   
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty, Tmik34, Stroke of Luck, Joez, Ltrain, Supernaut, LWL, Frank_Wagner, Nickech23

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lakers on the shoals Apr 13, 2024 8:23 am #39133

• Trent
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 9/12/1957
  • Thank you received: 351
That's what a good captain does! You change with the conditions and catch fish for your customers! Like you said, they went home with smiles on their face, arms burning from reeling in good fish and their coolers were full.

Congratulations Captain!

Lakers on the shoals Apr 14, 2024 8:51 am #39135

• BNature
  • BNature's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
 Didn't have my photos handy when I posted this so here are a couple of shots. The close-up is a Spin/Glow with a Laker Taker fly on it that I got from Capt. Bob Schell - Schellfish.  He sells them and makes some really good colors.  The other is one of the crew showing the hot spoon for the day, a new color from Northern King.   

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ltrain

Lakers on the shoals Apr 14, 2024 1:26 pm #39137

• Insanecoho
  • Thank you received: 52
Great report heading out tomorrow. May have to target greases if the silvers give us the skunk .thx

• Page: