Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Portage 4/13 & 4/14 Apr 14, 2024 1:41 pm #39138

• teamsmokercraft
  • teamsmokercraft's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 151
4/13 Dropped lines at about 10am and were done with a 3 man Coho limit in a few hours.  Fished mainly 50 fow, running anywhere from 2-3mph with a little slower being better.  Caught 8 on Thinfish with Firetiger being best, 40-100 foot back all caught fish. The other 7 came on our two dipsys with mini orange spindoctors with green/black or purple/black flies.  Ran the dipsys out 12 feet on a 3 setting.

4/14 Got out about 7:30 and were done by about 9 with our two man limit, 9 coho and 1 small steelie.  Fished 50 fow once again, with speed bouncing between 2-3 mph, hard to dial in a consistent speed with the wind and waves.  Half the fish came on thinfish with Firetiger and Red being best out 40-80 feet.  The other half came on the same dipsy setups as the day before.  

Over the last two days we had a lot of quick hits on our flasher flies, but the fish just wouldn’t stay buttoned.  Just curious everyone’s favorite flies for this time of year, we run Howies peanut flies but the hooks to me just seem pretty small for how big the coho currently are.  Thanks! 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tmik34, dogsbestfriend, Sundevil, Wallin, edac, Ltrain, Supernaut, Insanecoho, Frank_Wagner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by teamsmokercraft.

Portage 4/13 & 4/14 Apr 14, 2024 4:50 pm #39139

• bob
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 725
Thanks for the reports. 
Sea Ray 290 Amberjack
Kelliann 4

Portage 4/13 & 4/14 Apr 15, 2024 6:12 am #39143

• MC_angler
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1272
Nice job and thanks for the report!

I'm not the biggest fan of peanut flies, both for the size and the fact they get beat up so fast. I generally like to run a 1.5 to 2 inch mini fly on a tube
The following user(s) said Thank You: teamsmokercraft

Portage 4/13 & 4/14 Apr 15, 2024 8:50 am #39144

• go4bigfish
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 422
I like to make my own flies with stuff from a company called Purple Taco. The have all sorts of materials, and it is easy and less costly to make a bunch of your own. I also found beads with tiny shot inside that rattle like crazy and the Coho seem to really like them. I use a 2x   size 2 red treble when I tie my own

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: teamsmokercraft

• Page: