• Page:

TOPIC:

too much of a good thing! Apr 21, 2024 3:18 am #39191

• BNature
  • BNature's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1386
If you haven't heard the fish are at EC you must be a hermit from Paoli!  One of the things I enjoy is getting to know my customers a little bit while being interupted by the occasional fish. They leave with a bag or two of fillets, but they also leave with the knowledge of where the fish come from, some history of the salmon in the Great Lakes, etc.  Last couple of days haven't been like that. Saturday, I set the three planer board lines on the port side and was deploying the dipsey when the first fish hit. Two hours later I'd gotten UP to three rods a couple of times. Occasionally there were no lines in the water, several times fish bit while I was letting the lure out or hooking it to the planer release. Limits were too quick! No time to take photos, no time to visit, talk about salmon recipes, just wind, hold this, let me get behind you, open the fish bag, please, grab the rod in #3.  There's more to a fishing trip than just reeling in fish. 
Hot lures?  All Dodger/flies
Hot spot?  Everywhere
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty, Steelie Don, dogsbestfriend, Ltrain, LWL, daybreak, Frank_Wagner, Paul Pogo - Reel Therapy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

too much of a good thing! Apr 21, 2024 6:41 am #39192

• daybreak
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 8
Lol! Oh, the life of a captain. I love your description of the trip.

too much of a good thing! Apr 21, 2024 8:36 am #39193

• Stroke of Luck
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 324
If only it could be like that in July too!

too much of a good thing! Apr 21, 2024 10:00 am #39195

• slack57
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 233
Let the flys start biting.

too much of a good thing! Apr 24, 2024 8:46 pm #39245

• Trent
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 9/12/1957
  • Thank you received: 351
Congratulations! That definitely sounds like the place to be! We fished in front on Michigan City last Sunday but didn't get out until 1:40 pm central time. It was slow but we managed to get a nice batch of coho and lost two big fish and a couple others. One of the big ones hit J11 charturse Rapala and the other one hit a thin fin. Our mistake was not changing the hooks and putting on the Berkley Fusion Treble or taking the Drummel and making sure they were sharp. First big fish was on for 20 minutes. When the board finally surfaced the fish start thrashing around and it was gone. Same thing with the second big fish. It pulled out 100 ft of line in the matter of seconds. It took about 20 minutes to get it to 75ft of the boat when the boards popped up. Got the bird off and the first fought a few minutes and gone. That one straightened the hook on the thin fin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pikesmith

• Page: