Blood Run Tackle ( A word from a Sponsor) May 16, 2018 5:53 am #19470

• Lickety-Split
  • Lickety-Split's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1731
Blood Run Tackle
Admin · 10 hrs
Ok big lake guys (river guys we will get to you later) what's up with these giant kings on Lake Michigan? Lake Ontario is smoking hot right now also, maybe not quite the size. Two over 30 that we have heard have been taken on Lake Michigan so far, numerous high twenties, and cookie cutter 20's and high teens. No real theories as to why its happening, other than the majority of the big dogs on LKMI have been wild fish, and they are not sexually developed...these are next years fish.

With that said, we are getting alot of calls about what program to run, where to fish, how to rig, etc. Not going to get too much into what program or where, plenty of that info on FB to find out. What we are going to do is give you guys a heads up on how WE are rigging up for now through the rest of the year.

Warning, this is not a drill. This is the real deal, and if you spend any reasonable amount of time on LKMI or Ontario this year you will hook up with a 30lb class fish. You might not get it, but you will get bit by one. A 40 going down again on LKMI is a real possibility. If these are next years fish, get ready for high 40's maybe 50 in 2019.

Back to planet earth. Get the big guns out, and get everything respooled. We are guilty of throwing last years setups out there without checking them, and it cost us fish already. EVERYTHING has to be gone over with a close eye, and likely re-tied. Respool wire divers so you actually have 1000' of wire on. We have had 4 kings take over 500 out, after we were set at 200. Every other king is taking minimum 300-400 and up to 700 on rigger rods and burying TX44's/coppers.

We upgraded the rest of our rigger reels to 2 speed conventional saltwater reels ...this allows us to put the hammer down and get fish in the boat when we need to instead of screwing around for a half hour and having a fish pull a hook. The longer they are out there, the more likely it will happen. We had what we thought to be a high 20s smoke a Tekota 600 this weekend and took 800'. We couldn't move it, had it way back on the surface. Guy fought it for 40 minutes and pulled the hook. Don't be like us, get your drags re-done and get some real reels!

Any copper with a repair should be looked at to get redone.

Without question, all rigger/mono rods should be stripped and re-spooled. Your choice on our Tournament Mono or Sea Flee, depending on your situation. We will strip twice this year.

Fluoro leaders. All flies and meat rigs (if you aren't just fishing coho) should be bumped up to 50lb. Just do it, don't ask questions..you will regret not taking this advice.

Diver leaders are now up to 40lb fluoro. We are sticking with 30lb fluoro on our copper leaders for this year unless something crazy happens.

We have pre-fished for alot of tournament boats so far this year and every fish we lost had a stock hook. Get rid of them, and get some Impaler 1/0 trebles. These cutting points are the only hook capable of driving through a kings jaw...unless you are the type to wing it and stick with a cone/needle point and hope it grips a big ass king. Not us, cut and penetrate all the way and our Impalers are the only cutting points out there in 1/0 size for trolling applications. Flies and meat rigs without question get Impalers.

Look at all connections, knots, swivels, etc. The next fish you have on could be a 30...no joke. Don't miss the opportunity, don't let your $30 meat rig get ripped off.

Have fun, this is going to be one for the record books!
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Blood Run Tackle ( A word from a Sponsor) May 16, 2018 5:58 am #19471

• reel fun
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 207
Hadn't heard the part about "next year's fish".
I'm skeptical about that statement, but I'm no biologist.

Blood Run Tackle ( A word from a Sponsor) May 16, 2018 1:28 pm #19476

• ReefDonkey
  • Thank you received: 29
Every fish we caught last weekend out of New Buffalo was a 3 yr old- It looks like next year will be promising as well

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Blood Run Tackle ( A word from a Sponsor) May 16, 2018 1:44 pm #19478

• Tmik34
  • Thank you received: 1091
3yr old kings are the majority spawners now on lake michigan. A 4yr old king is a rare fish. Lots of studys done on this. All these fish 10lbs and up I would put my mortage on them being spawners this yr.
-Lady M- Sea Ray 290 Amberjack

Blood Run Tackle ( A word from a Sponsor) May 16, 2018 5:27 pm #19479

• Wildkat Tim
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 277
We might of had an encounter with 1 of those big boys today. In my 40 years of big lake fishing have I had a fish do what this 1 did. Charged the boat then hard turn out jumping over a copper then back again. Next passed up the boat, stopped drifted back just next to the boat then ran under the boat. We had 1 guy get a face full of water as that 1 said goodbye. I never got a real good look at it but the wet guy said it was real big & wide.

Blood Run Tackle ( A word from a Sponsor) May 16, 2018 6:01 pm #19480

• bob
  • Thank you received: 720
Ahh good times!
Sea Ray 290 Amberjack
Kelliann 4

Blood Run Tackle ( A word from a Sponsor) May 16, 2018 9:10 pm #19484

• MC_angler
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1272

Hadn't heard the part about "next year's fish".
I'm skeptical about that statement, but I'm no biologist.

You are right to be skeptical

There are definitely some big fish, but like Tim said, most kings are done by 3 years old. The 20lb class of fish being caught right now are mostly 3 year olds that will spawn and die this fall. There will definitely be some high-20s and low 30s caught this year. Probably even some mid to upper 30s, with a few approaching or just cracking 40. Those fish will be splayed across social media because they are AWESOME fish, but also cuz it's a big deal and they are very rare.

I will be VERY surprised if anything cracking 42ish lbs happens, whether its this year or next

And I find the lack of "theories" comment half laughable, half exasperating. With a big cut to predation, there's more bait to go around for the remaining fish. It's not rocket science. It's only what the fishery managers have been shouting from the mountain tops the past 4 years...
The following user(s) said Thank You: scoffer

Last edit: by MC_angler.

Blood Run Tackle ( A word from a Sponsor) May 17, 2018 5:26 am #19487

• Lickety-Split
  • Lickety-Split's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1731
Wow guys I posted something written by a sponsor and this is what he gets? Doubt they will be back. Thanks!!!!
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away

Blood Run Tackle ( A word from a Sponsor) May 17, 2018 7:03 am #19490

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1679
I appreciate the write up - it was very informative. It also spurred discussion in a discussion forum, which is expected and healthy.
Boatless!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tmik34, reel fun, MC_angler

• Page: